Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• Eurotunnel were excellent, daughter unfortunately travels too widely to continue with an annual policy with them.

She now uses Insurancewith, (an annual policy) and has successfully claimed when she had this last autumn’s flu-type bug and it refused to go, causing chest, sinus and eye infections on top. She had a holiday booked but felt too ill to go, her GP agreed and supported her with a letter, they paid in full with no question!

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Yvonne I'm still looking around, one of my friends who was in hospital for four months has taken annual out with Coverwise, the underwriters are axa. I'm looking at insure and go and I'll have a look at this Eurotunnel too. My friend spoke to Coverwise on the phone and told them everything about her health and it cost her approx ÂŁ106 for the annual policy. I googled Coverwise to find some reviews on it. Easyjet have made me a special member of their club so I can change flights at short notice without incurring further charges, my accommodation is FOC so it is just medical I'm really bothered about. I'll have a play on line tonight, Sue hope your doing ok Yvonne 

• great the advice you get here !!! bmb results weren’t back yesterday , counts were no better , but then again no worse either ,, putting a real effort in with this eating caper ,, but not doing the best x

• It is such a slog Yvonne :(

I remember saying  'will this ever improve?' over and over again then one morning I woke up and wanted a BLT (sorry) and that was it.......... but I still love my mash and melted cheese, it's like s guilty pleasure :)

But Cream of Chicken soup, Ambrosia Rice and Custard and White Chocolate Magnums transport me back to my little room :(

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Well I looked at a few companies allcleartravel.co.uk look promising, Yvonne I'm still struggling with food 5 months on, breakfast Im OK , I have a bowl of shreddies and a bowl of muesli, just been to Zumba and I'm now having Heinz Spring veg soup, not sure what I'll have for dinner this evening. I've a cream cake in the fridge for mid afternoon. You can only do your best hugs 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Orson

On the subject of lack of visitors, a friend has told me by email that people are afraid to visit me in case they give me a bug. I don't see why that stops them phoning or emailing. While I appreciate some caution, the outcome is that I'm miserable with loneliness instead. I guess I'll have to stay careful until the end of the flu season, and the awful weather isn't helping. A few gardens are starting to reopen for the spring so I shall just go there on my own. I have managed two so far. 

What especially annoys me was that I used to run several social groups, and put a lot of effort into enabling other people have enjoyable social days together. What a muggins I was. I did get a couple of group cards when first diagnosed, but I can count on one hand the individuals from those groups who have been in touch with me since. I have tried emailing those I thought I knew best with a neutral chatty message (avoiding the poor me approach) but hardly anyone bothered to even email back.

I have to balance all that with the support I've had from complete strangers on here, and of course my anonymous donor. Maybe I've got my reward in a roundabout way. Perhaps one of the challenges to add to the survivor's list is having to rebuild your social life.

Happy Valentine's Day!

• Hi Tessa, 

Sadly those who you thought were friends desert you and you have to form a new circle. Daughter found the same, especially while going through her auto, however, the friendships formed or built in those times have stuck with her. 

I guess it's tough but this is when you find your true friends. 

Happy Valentines Day to you and everyone

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Tessa - I second Moomy - you do deffo find out who true friends are.  And ...who are not :(. Husband has found it very hurtful (as he is the sort who is SO SO loyal and helps anyone).  I am viewing it as cathartic as figure once we are out of the other side of this illness that we will have a lot more time to spend on IMPORTATN 

*Learning God is in control and every day holds the chance of another miracle.*

• oops clicked send before I was done... 

figure once this is all over that you Tessa (and  my husband and I) will have more time to spend on important people and things.  

Tessa whereabout do you live ?  Which hospital were you treated in? 

*Learning God is in control and every day holds the chance of another miracle.*

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to jaymacabc123

It's really hard making new friends later in life (I am 66). Everyone seems to be tied up with their children and grandchildren and they don't have room for extras. It's ok joining a club that meets on a particular day, but try to arrange an extra coffee with someone and they are always busy with something else. I don't think you really get to know someone in a crowd, so those more individual meetings are important. But people seem to want to stay superficial. I have had these feelings for some years, but thought I had made more connections through my retirement groups. So wrong.

I live on the edge of the New Forest and was treated in Southampton University Hospital.

Tessa