MDS, Refractory Anaemia and possible SCT but not possible I'm told.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 51 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this site although I've was diagnosed with MDS and within that, Refractory Anaemia in March 2015 . Doesn't seem to be much of that around- no group for that so I've been advised by one of the super caring moderators that this is the group closest to my condition so if you allow me in, I'll be happy to unload my problems with you.

Right, MDS is apparently rare, so I can add that to my other rare disease, haemochromatosis. In fact the treatment for that is a factor that brought my MDS to light. Btw I've also a B12 deficiency and pernicious anaemia has been mentioned in the past. I was having blood removed weekly to lower my high ferritin level (haemochromatosis) when I collapsed one night and I was found to have a low haemoglobin level-82! So began the quest which ended with the MDS (refractory anaemia) diagnosis. 

Well, for the last 18 months I've been injecting myself weekly with Aranesp which has helped my haemoglobin level although the general trend is slowly downwards, in fact it has dipped below 100 a couple of times. I've done a lot of research and frankly my future doesn't look good mainly because of my age-60 next birthday. I ran a question by my doctor about a bone marrow transplant and she said that SCT would be my best option BUT it probably wouldn't be offered because the operation would likely kill me! Anyone here could shed some light on this? I also have heart disease, diagnosed by my heart surgeon 6 years ago after a heart attack, followed by heart surgery (stent fitted). And I'm being treated for bilateral ulnar nerve problems, indeed just today I have received a date for my first operation - 19th October! 

So you can see, there are complications. Does anyone know of 60+ SCT, successful I hope? There's always hope, hence the username . 

Oh, one other thing! Almost forgot! Around the time of my MDS diagnosis I began to get back and leg pains which through all this got progressively worse, so bad that I can't stand or walk a little without severe pain. I'm now a wheelchair user and have to have a high daily dose of morphine although it's still not at a level that masks the pain. I have been advised by a consultant that an operation on my back wouldn't be of any help although he did offer me a second opinion from another consultant which I accepted and that's going to be in a couple of weeks. He, believe it or not is the brother of the surgeon who's going to operate on my elbow shortly!!

Sorry to unload my problems on you but I think they're relevant and if anyone is still awake lol can you give me hope please?

hope58

• Hi Conner,

yes, our daughter didn’t respond fully in any lasting way to chemo, but had a full response to the first targeted therapy for her type of lymphoma. It appears after 7 years of standard plus some trial treatments she was primary refractory. 

(She’s doing ok now though!) 

hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi thehighlander, He was offered a trial chemo CPX AML 19, he didn't resond, he has now had a cycle of flag-ida, and has been in hospital 7 Weeks, keeping fingers crossed this is working.

• Thanks for this, oh 7 weeks is such hard work but a number of folks have been through FLAG-IDA so let’s look for this to do the job and definitely keeping both sets of fingers crossed Fingers crossedFingers crossed xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Goldtooth

Hi goldtooth, how are you getting on with this treatment ? My husband has just had to lots of chemo to find out if has done nothing, maybe this will be the next treatment ?

• Last week I had my 57th monthly cycle of Azacitidine which is still working fortunately. I’m treated for 5 days in every 28 which takes its toll on me mentally as I’m always worried what’s going to happen when it stops working. That’s a long time into the future I hope.

I hope this treatment works for your husband as it has for me.

Good luck and best wishes to you both

Anthony

• Ps I should have mentioned that I’ve always had a huge amount of support from the Macmillan Support Nurses in regard to this illness, they are online 7 days a week 8am—8pm phone 0808 808 00 00

• FormerMember

Hi Goldtooth, how are you getting on with your treatment ? My husband starts it soon, but we have been told there is a chance this might not work ? We are hoping and praying we get something positive back.

• Hey Connor 1234.

i can understand your concern.

Azacitidine is still working for me, I start my 59th cycle next Monday providing my

pre chemotherapy blood test tomorrow show no anomalies, I must admit this gives

me a lot of anxiety each month.

after all these cycles I must admit I do find it a strain as I’m very much aware that

the treatment won’t be efficient for ever, my whole life has been turned upside down.

i remember clearly when I was first diagnosed, the shock which you must be feeling

as well must be overwhelming for you both.

Dont lose hope, that’s all we have to cling to, I read a very good quote by 

Franklin D Roosevelt “ when you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on”

i always think of that when I feel in despair.

i wish you both the best of luck and hope that the treatment does work for your husband.

keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on, if there’s any help and further advice I can give please just ask

best wishes

Anthony

• FormerMember

Hi Anthony, that is brilliuant, was you not offered a transplant ? My husband has this mutation TP53 which makes it difficult to treat, have you had any problems ? He has had 2 courses of intensive chemo and both have done nothing, his counts are low and is having regular platelet transfusions and blood. Does this sound similar at all ??

• I asked about a transplant when first diagnosed in 2014 and was told I was too old.

i was 70 at the time.

i have not needed to have transfusions yet, but I do understand that once Azacitidine stops working I will become transfusion dependent as AML starts to develop. That’s why I dread each pre chemo blood test as it could be the one that shows that the the chemotherapy isn’t being effective anymore. 

i truly wish I could be more supportive to you both. 

Best wishes to you both

Anthony