Rash not GvHD?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 19 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hello. I'm at day 60 post SCT. I had a rash identified as GvHD which has gone with steroid creams. Now I have something odd on my upper forearms that the doctor & nurse do not think is GvHD but can't offer a reason for it. Its random red spots, some look like a small pimple, but mostly it looks like a midge has had a good graze on my arms. But it's not itchy. Other possibilities I guess are an allergy but to what I'm mystified. I'm a mostly fragrance-free zone. Can't think of anything that would only affect that part of my body.

I'm feeling well and do not have a temperature. In the scheme of things a few spots is pretty trivial, but I get freaked by anything I don't understand. Especially when the doctor can't explain it either. 

Tessa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Well that discussion took a very useful turn about the pencillin.  But my original problem with the rash hasn't gone away.

Back at outpatients today, doctor took a look at rash. He thinks its either a reaction to cyclosporin, or a viral thing like chicken pox.  I have to double my Aciclovir and will be in 'isolation' next appointment.  

He didn't say that I actually have chicken pox and the spots look quite mild compared to the horror pictures I've found on the internet. The inflammation seems to vary throughout the day, sometimes almost fading away. Its mostly scattered small red spots and only the odd one looks like a pimple or blister.

Anyone had similar problems, or had that diagnosis but different symptoms. As mentioned before, it's not itchy, I feel well and do not have a temperature.

Thanks Tessa

• Hi Tessa, 

Not shingles? As that can rear a head post allo. And doubling the Acyclovir would sort that out too anyway. Have you had Chickenpox? 

Hope it recovers soon. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi , ahh sorry for hijacking your original post Tessa, guilty as charged ;)

Sorry the Docs are struggling to get the back of this problem. Have they reduced your Cyclosporin yet, it's not a great thing to be putting our bodies and did give me kidney problems but not the skin. Hope you can get the back of this but good that it's not itchy :) 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thanks both.  I don't have any of the other shingles symptoms and it affects both arms. (According to NHS site, shingles usually only affects one side of body).

I had chicken pox as a child, but I'm told my donor and I were both CMV negative. (This confused me until I realised they are not the same thing.)

Cyclosporin dose just been put down to 90mg from 110mg. I'm at day 63.

Tessa (edited several times)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Paul1969

Hi paul

I have GvHD in my liver and am being referred for light therapy, extracorporeal photopheresis (ECP) i think is its clinical name. 

I was wondering if this is the treatment you had and if it was could you tell me the ground truth about what the treatment entails (cannula/central line, sensations, time scale) and how quickly the treatment worked?

please feel free to say no if you don't want too.

thanks

linton 

• Hi Linton, sorry to hear you have GvHD in your Liver and you have been referred for ECP.

There are a few in the SCT Group who have had ECP and I have also talked with others face to face about it and they found it no problem, just time consuming.

For them it was a cannula as their central lines were out, just like giving blood and getting a blood transfusion, not sure about time frame.

You could put ECP into the search tool and see the discussions and there is also Jane, our Nurse who has experience in Stem Cell Transplant and post SCT aftercare..... but allow a few days to get an answer.

I will tag to see if he picks up on your question......... but I had skin GVHD and only had creams and some UV skin treatments.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Linton

I had GVHD of the skin and of the gut. Treatment was different for each one.

For the skin I had 25 UVB photo-therapy sessions. That was just standing in the equivalent of a tanning booth for between 5 and 10 seconds twice a week.After 8 sessions I saw improvements.

The GVHD of the gut caused bile acid malabsorption which they dealt with using a fat binding medication.

So I can't tell you anything about ECP I am afraid. I know it has been mentioned previously on the forums so I will have a search for you and see if I can unearth anything.

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• was having ECP (not sure if she still is.) Hopefully she will notice I have tagged her and be able to give you some more first hand experience.

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I did indeed have ECP to treat stage four gvhd of the liver, gut and bowel. In terms of sensation, my ECP was done using a Hickman line, so I didnt feel anything. I felt pretty sleepy afterwards though. Basically how it works is they process x amount of your blood (usually about 1500ml) and separate the white blood cells from your platelets and red blood cells. Once the adequate amount of cells have been collected the WBC are injected with a light sensitive dye and put through a light box to cause cell death. These dying cells are then returned to you and your immune system doesn't know what to do with all these half dead cells so it shuts itself off temporarily, thus controlling the gvhd. 

Things to be aware of: don't eat a fatty meal before your treatment as it makes it very hard to separate off the plasma which will become thick and milky. If you feel tingling around your lips, hands or legs, tell your nurse asap as it can mean your calcium has dropped during treatment.  Your blood levels need to be at a certain level before they can hook you up to the machine so dont be concerned if they say they have to postpone your treatment