Drinking alcohol while having radiotherapy

• 8 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi

Did or do any of you ladies drink alcohol while receiving radiotherapy?  

As I do like a glass of wine or three, and am wondering if it is safe to do so.  I know I didn’t while having chemotherapy, or at least after the first week of treatment as I couldn’t have drank anything alcoholic as I didn’t feel well enough.

Thanks in advance

Ange

• Hi Ange  I had 3 sets of radiotherapy 5, 10 then 30) over my man 2 years treatment and I was allowed to have a glass of wine…… but it may depend on where your Radiotherapy is aimed at…… best as your team,

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Ange

Mine was pelvic radiotherapy like yourself, and to be honest as the cumulative effects of that wore on, I wouldn’t have felt like drinking anything. One glass of wine might be ok if your team agrees but I would have thought 3 would be too much in one sitting! This radiotherapy is pretty tough on your body. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Sarah

Thanks for replying.  I better just have an odd glass now and again.  I usually only drink 2 days a week, but I’ll either not have any at all or just a glass or two.  As you say I may not really want any as I have more treatment.

I hope you are well.

Thank you

Angela

• Hi

Thanks for replying.

I’ll definately not drink as much as I sometimes do, and I only usually drink 2 days a week (I sound like an alcoholic).  As I have more treatment I may not want to anyway.

I hope you are well now and fully recovered.

Thanks

Ange

• You have to look at this in the long term. I have been on my incurable but treatable journey fir over 25 years so it’s all about the greater good rather than what you did before.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Ange,

I definitely didn’t want it as treatment progressed but I had quite bad side effects from treatment, so it might have been different if I’d felt well. 

I had a recurrence fairly soon after treatment, and was in significant pain, so again no wish to drink, and then had massive surgery where I didn’t even think about it. I’m recovered now, and yes I do have a drink from time to time but for the most part don’t bother.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear that you had a recurrence but so glad you are recovered now.  

I suppose it’s down to individuals experiences and how they feel about it.

I wish you well

Ange

• Hi Ange

Thank you. You’re right-it is very much down to the individual. Personally, I’m not a fan of being miserable so I like a little treat now and then and a little bit of what I fancy can perk me up. I’ll be away on holiday next week, and more than one cocktail might be featuring in my plans! Sunglasses

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum