Kidney cancer

• 4 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with cancer two weeks ago and my operation is this coming Friday . It’s been so quick it’s only just starting to sink in and I’m starting to get very worried.  After hearing reports about waiting times in the NHS I realise how lucky I am and can only assume I have been fast tracked . The consultant explained he will be taking the whole right kidney out robotically . I can’t stop thinking that with the operation being done so quickly there is something they’re not telling me . 
It’s good to have this forum to get things off my chest . 

Wishing you all good health and luck x

• Sending you lots of good wishes for a quick and easy job.

I've not had kidney cancer (mine was prostate and treated with radiotherapy) but one thing that I too noticed and that was that they definitely fast-tracked me.

Not because there was a problem but simply because, despite all the bad news you get about the NHS, when it comes to cancer, they get on with it - fast!

It's a bit like heart problems.  If you have anything going wrong then they whip you past the queues and get you sorted fast.  I needed a replacement aortic valve and I was almost staggered just how quickly they got me into hospital and fixed.

I did actually ask about it and all they could come up with was something like - "we don't like to leave life-threatening problems to get worse."  My problem was only one that needed fixing before it got worse but the same principle applies.

So in your case, while your problem may not actually be life-threatening, if they leave it then it'll ony get worse - so fix it now!

Anyway, good to see you using this forum - it's an absolutely brilliant place to visit.  For a start, you'll always find someone who's worse off than you - which tends to put your own problem into perspective.

Then you'll always find someone who can help with just about anything - from a semi-professional point of view and also often from patients with the same cancer's point of view.

And then you'll find simply loads of love and good wishes to help cheer you up!

But hey - no idea if my words have helped but I've tried!

Cheers - Chris

I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

Navigating a cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help you a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend that you join and put up your own post in our dedicated Kidney Cancer support group.

This group is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support. To connect in with the group please click on the link below…….

Kidney cancer

……. and when the group page opens you will see a [Black - Click to Join - Banner] at the bottom of the page, click in this box and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

You can then introduce yourself to the group by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post]or [+] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

The Macmillan Support Line is open between 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Chris

Thanks for your support . As you say there is always someone worse off than you and reading some of the blogs i guess I’m lucky . Feeling I can Handle it better now .

Cheers

Mel

good luck in loosing the mrs Blush

• Merlvyn, that's great!  Believe it or not, you even sound better to me now! Your first post was terribly downbeat and, to be honest, it sounded scared but you've picked up massively.  Well done!  And wonderful to hear from you too.

And, despite this sounding a bit trite, being positive is one of the best ways to beat cancer.  That's not just me saying that but the nurses and other patients who've been through the mill - and come out the other side.   If you're miserable and grumpy then cancer seems to have a better chance of winning than if you try to stay bright and cheerful.  The power of the mind, I guess.

Sure, you'll have hard days - we al do now and then, but if things do get on top of you then come here and empty your worries.  So many broad shoulders here who can help to lift you up and out of the muck.  Loads of the most inspiring people; simply piles of useful and helpful information and, as I said before, absolutely moutains of love and feelings.

As for the missus - been trying to lose her for a long time now (just over 30 years) but I think I've given up trying now I'm almost 80.   Mind you, she is my fourth wife, so there must be something about her worth keeping!

Perhaps I'd better change my 'signature'...

I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back.