Triple negative strikes twice

• 2 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hello, I’m new to the group and decided to join as I’ve just had the sad news that my nan has triple negative breast cancer. The thing is I lost my mum in 2017 to triple negative, she was only 49 and I was only 30. I’ve really found it hard to navigate through since I lost my best friend and now I’ve just been told my nan (my mums, mum) has triple negative too! We’ve been each others rock over the last, almost 7 years, and now finding out shes going to go through the same diagnosis has just hit me like a bus. It doesn’t feel real. Since mum passed my family has grown apart, she was the glue that held us all together so now I’m not sure how to navigate supporting my nan. I want to be strong and there for her but not sure how to when the death of my mum is still so painful. 
It would be lovely to connect with others that maybe have a similar story or experiences xx

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

It sounds like you've had a long and difficult journey so I can understand you wanting to find others who have been on a similar path. I was diagnosed with TNBC about two and a half years ago, so I have an idea about how you'll be feeling.

As the online community is divided into different support forums I'm going to recommend that you join the triple negative breast cancer forum, which is a great place to ask questions and share experiences with others who have a similar diagnosis to your nan, and also the family and friends forum which is a safe and supportive place to discuss your worries and share your emotions.

To join, just click on the links I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your nan's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Furrydogmother87

Welcome to the community and I am sorry to hear that your nan has been diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer and that you lost your Mum to triple negative. Treatments for Triple negative breast cancer had improved since your Mum had it so more people are surviving with it long term.

Do join the forums that latchbrook suggested and you'll get plenty of support.  I also suggest that you join the Breast Cancer forum as well as there are plenty of ladies with triple negative on there.

I was diagnosed with triple negative just over four years ago and after having treatment I made a full recovery.

Wishing both you and your nan well/

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge