Fit test level 15

• 4 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi, thanks for letting me join.

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance and voices of reason.

I've just had a fit test with a reading of 15. This was after seeing a few streaks of red blood after wiping. Spoke to my gp who ordered a fit test. I've also been rather gassy and discomfort from time to time in lower right hand side of abdomen.

I've now been referred for a colonoscopy next week.

I already suffer with severe anxiety and  agoraphobia. To say my anxiety has gotten even worse is an understatement! I'm panicking about the colonoscopy and the prep for it and obviously what the result of it will be.

I live alone so no-one to distract me or speak to. So was wondering if anybody can give me some words of reassurance please.

Thank you so much 

• Hello  

A warm welcome to the Macmillan online Community, although I am sorry to find you here.

I have noticed you have already joined the Bowel cancer forum, there also our General Chat forum you could join and here's the link-

Cancer chat forum 

Although I have a different cancer I can confirm I have had a few colonoscopies and to be honest they were not too bad!! The preparation for it at home is the hard part and once that's over and done with, the hospital staff are very understanding. For me (a man) I have a low pain threshold and didn't find them to be painful - more "inconvenient".

I am sure you will be fine next week - tell your team of your anxiety and they will look after you. I wish you well with the results.

If I can do anything else for you please let me know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Brian. Thank you so much for your response and I hope you're doing as well as you can. Yes, I've heard the prep is a bit of a challenge. Just hope I can get it all down me as I have problems with my gag reflex. So fingers crossed! It's the waiting and having to much time to think that's spiralling my anxiety at the moment. Not helped by the fact my gassiness and nausea are getting worse, although I'm guessing that could be my anxiety as well. Bit of a viscous circle at the moment! 

• Hello  

Thanks for your reply - I am great thank you 33 months into a 36 month "curative pathway" so yes life is good. I do have my 3 yearly colonoscopy to look forward to next April!! (You can read my journey bu clicking on my avatar).

The 2 litre preparation I have had (Mango flavour - never in a million years) every time was bad but I found if I had it with a straw it didn't taste as bad and I got it down without any issues.

As with any treatments I have had I always try and do something nice afterwards so I have something to look forward to once my appointment is over. One thing cancer has taught me is that whatever treatment I am having is part of my journey and I do try and think of something I can do afterwards, even if it's going for a coffee!!

Trust me you will be fine and all the staff I have come across have been. brilliant - do let me know how you get on.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Suze52, and a warm welcome from me, though I have only had 2 colonoscopies, like Brian, the experience a little uncomfortable at times but not painful, and helped by the wonderful staff, Suze52 I have dysphagia my ASI is 24 so significant but had no issues with the bowel cleaning drinks, I would suggest you have someone drive you home after the procedure, best wishes.

Eddie xx