Recurring Postmenopausal Bleeding

• 4 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi,

For the second time in as many years I've found myself with postmenopausal bleeding and having been referred via the 2 week Gateway by my Doctor. I've been fortunate in being told that everything is okay. But when I asked the Consultant whether this could happen again I was told yes.

It's been at least 7 years since my last period and I wondered if anyone else has experienced the same issues with postmenopausal bleeding.

Thanks in response.

• Hello  

A warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community.  I am so sorry to read of your problems and can understand your concerns. I am sure that your Doctor has reassured you that everything is okay, however your worry is that this could happen again. 

The online Community is divided into various chat rooms or forums which are cancer specific and in your case I would advise you to join the following forums where you will "meet" up with fellow Community members on the same or similar journey.

Ovarian cancer forum 

Womb (uterus) cancer forum 

If you click on the links I have provided, once the page opens up just click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page. Once you have joined the forums you can either copy and paste or repost your original post in the "New Here - Say Hello" section. there it will be seen by Community members on that forum.

There is also our support line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) where you can speak to someone regarding your issues.

I do hope the above helps, if I can do anything else for you please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi  

Could I perhaps ask you which cancer pathway you have been referred on? It may be a general gynaecological pathway, in which case there may need to be investigations which are initially not cancer specific. The reason I ask is that the main symptom of my cancer was post menopausal bleeding, and mine was cervical cancer. It can also be a symptom of vulval cancer. However, the cause can also be benign.

As there are reasons other than cancer for post menopausal bleeding, I’d recommend keeping an open mind at this stage as to what the cause might be. You are of course welcome to join any of the groups within the community, but without a cancer diagnosis, you may find yourself reading a variety of cancer stories which may worry you further without giving you any answers. 

If you are diagnosed with any kind of gynaecological cancer (and I hope that’s not the case!) then you would be able to join the group most appropriate for this. I hope you’re not waiting too long for your referral appointment, and do let us know how you get on. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah,

And thanks for replying. I believe from the tests that were done that it was a general gynaecological pathway. I really just wanted to see if anyone else has had recurring postmenopausal bleeding as it doesn't appear to be mentioned very much.

Thankfully I've been told that everything is fine for the second time...again!

• That’s really good news  

I did have recurrent menopausal bleeding, but had a cancer diagnosis. However, often there are reasons like polyps ot fibroids or even vaginal atrophy which can cause the bleeding. 

Did they give you any reason for it happening? Did you have any testing done, like a cervix check or hysteroscopy?  think I’d be keen in your position to have an explanation.

As I said, you can post in any of the gynae groups, but most of the ladies there will be looking for support after a cancer diagnosis, which happily doesn’t seem to be the case for you, and this group for new members tends to be where we can direct people to relevant cancer specific groups, so you may not necessarily get many replies here. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum