Seeking Advice on Managing Transitions for My Stepdaughter

• 1 reply
  • 39 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some advice regarding my 11-year-old stepdaughter. Her mum has brain cancer, and she has been living with us for the past 18 months. She visits her mum every other week, who lives two hours away. At her mum’s, she has no boundaries, whereas at our home, we have set rules.

We have a good relationship, which I’m grateful for, but I’m struggling with the transitions back and forth. Additionally, balancing her needs with those of our two other children is challenging and causing me a lot of anxiety.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? How do you cope with these transitions and balance the needs of all your children? Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

• Hell  

A warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community. The "New to the Community" forum is our reception desk where we try and direct new Community members to the correct forum for help and support.  Having read your post first off here's a link to one of our publications you may find helpful-

https://be.macmillan.org.uk/be/p-26798-talking-to-children-and-teenagers-when-an-adult-has-cancer.aspx

The online Community is divided up into cancer specific chat rooms or forums and I would advise you to join the following forums:

Cancer chat forum 

Family and friends forum 

These are two forums where you will find support for your specific questions. To join these two forums, just click on the links I have provided and once the page opens up - click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page. Once you have joined the forum you can either copy and pate or repost your question in the "New Here - Say Hello" section. Your post will then be seen by members of that forum who should be able to offer help.

There is also our support line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm) who will also be able to offer additional support.

I hope the above helps - if I can do anything else for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.