tolerating radiotherapy at 86

• 1 reply
  • 39 subscribers

It's the second time around for left breast cancer and a lumpectomy is booked for the 16th September. My first Op was when I was 82 and declined radiotherapy. Now I'm unsure what to do about accepting it due to age and how well I will cope. It seems ladies from the forum have coped well but having Googled the side effects it's worried me and I live alone. I know you can't decide for me but has anyone experienced the dire side effects. Quality against quantity at this age. I hope you are all coping and feel for you so much. 

• Hello  

A warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community although I am so sorry to find you here. 86 is a great age and I can understand your worries. (Dr Google isn't the best place for help or advice - use trusted sources such as Macmillan).

The Community is divided up into cancer specific "chat rooms" where you can connect with people on the same or similar journey. I would advise you to join these two forums-

Breast cancer forum 

Radiotherapy & Side Effects for 

To join each forum, just click on the links I have provided and once the page opens up, click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page. You can then either copy and paste or repost your original post in the "New Here - Say Hello" section. Your post will then be seen by others on the same or similar journey.

There is also our support line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week).

If I can do anything else for you please do get back to me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.