I think I’m losing my husband to melanoma

• 3 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Greetings - My dear husband was first diagnosed with Stage IIIC metastatic melanoma 3 years ago.  He’d grown a fairly large bulbous black “mole” on his leg and despite my strong push he get it checked out… well, he waited a long time… maybe about 4 years before he visited the dermatologist.  He did immunotherapy for 5 months at which time he had a bunch of small tumors develop in his thigh.  He was offered to double up on the immunotherapy and offered to have the bumps surgically removed, but he declined both. His oncologist really encouraged the treatments but was also respectful that my husband said “No thanks”.  You see, he also has a nurse practitioner friend who basically told him that oncology docs are quacks and suggested a different route for fighting the cancer.  My husband began a regimen of fenbendazole (dog dewormer), coffee enemas, a raw vegan diet high in celery juice, a five part herbal cleanse program, and the Rife machine.  All of his small tumors shrank away and his next set of scans were clear!  His oncologist couldn’t believe it and was so thrilled for him!  He wanted to know all about his home treatments.  After several months the growths came back and so he doubled down on his home treatments and voila, the tumors receded again!  This happened three times total.  No sign of anything.. no cancer we’d hoped.  About a year goes by and a couple of months ago he notices a very small bump under his skin near his original tumor site.  It has grown to the size of a golfball despite doing all of his normal things to thwart it. So, he switched gears and tried a keto/carnivore diet hoping to plummet his GKI score low enough to stop the growth.  It didn’t work either because the tumor is still growing,  Starting about a month ago he began becoming very tired.  Also a few weeks ago he developed a fever for a few days along with a cough (could be bronchitis or Covid?). The third thing is a lot of nausea.  He has all but stopped eating this last couple of weeks… he has lost a lot of weight and has no appetite.  Since the keto diet isn’t improving things he is now choosing to water fast only.  Tomorrow is day 4 of no food.  He told me today that he’s ready to die now and thinks that he is going to.  He has an upcoming CT chest scan on Saturday which is now has pain in his chest and is still coughing up stuff.  Meanwhile the tumor behind his knee is really bothering him now.. he did say he would be good to have it removed.  I’m very sad.  I guess we’ll know more Monday as he has an appointment.  I just needed to type this out since I am not able to relax and I hope this helps me.  

• Hi  I am so sorry to hear about how things have developed with your husband.

Following a natural treatment method is walking a very fine line and it sounds like things have turned for the worse….. I do hope that there is still something that can be done for him.

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we try to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support.

You already know that The Community is divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) as you have already been posting in our Melanoma support group.

When it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your husband and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our……

Carers only 

and possibly our

Supporting someone with incurable cancer

……. support groups where you will connect with a wide range of members navigating the exact same support challenges.

You can join and post in these groups…… just copy and paste the text from this post into a new post.

It is an emotional time supporting family so you might find this Macmillan information your feelings when someone has cancer helpful as well as this link getting help with your emotions.

The Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

Please do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for directing me to which groups could be a good fit for me.  That is why I made my post here.  Much appreciated.  

• Hi  I am pleased to be able to help….. I am sure that you will find the groups a good place to get support ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge