House insurance

• 2 replies
  • 39 subscribers

2 months ago my mum (86) was diagnosed with terminal cancer - weeks / months to live. She is now in a nursing home and will not be returning home. I have just contacted her insurance company to inform them that the house is unoccupied - and they have put a 30 day cancellation on the policy so now I have to attempt to find an appropriate insurance. Any advice? 

• Hi  sorry to hear about your mum.

I do see you have been posting in our Carers only and Supporting someone with incurable cancer support groups. These groups are good places to connect with others who most likely are dealing with the same issues.

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we try to direct people to the best part of the Community to get support. So there is not a lot of people hang around this area.

I would think that you will just have to phone a few insurance companies and explain your situation and look to get new cover.

You may want to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 as this service provides practical information and benefits/financial guidance.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that your mum has had to move into a nursing home and will not be returning to her home. 

My dad had always used a local insurance broker to arrange his insurance so I phoned them to advise them when he moved into a care home and they came back to me with the details and price of a new insurance policy to cover the house now it was unoccupied.

Do you or your mum use an insurance broker? Whether you do or not, from my experience they're best placed to find a suitable policy for you and to save you the job of phoning around lots of insurance companies.

I hope your mum is settling in to her home.

Sending virtual (((hugs)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"