Support For Better Half

• 1 reply
  • 39 subscribers

Dear All.

Apologises if this is sounds a silly question, but I truly am at a lost as to how to handle a situation. Before I ask the question I have to give a bit of history, so it is like War & Peace. My wife has had two bouts of breast cancer resulting in a mastectomy of the left boob, it was a joint discussion and agreement that reconstruction was too much for her. let's just say she is a lady of a certain age, retired and we have been together for 36 years.

Here Goes: 

I have always known that I punch way above my weight. She is and always has been stunning. she always kept herself up together and can be described as very feminine,  she had a gregarious outlook and many friends, a job she loved, yet she chose me. God only knows why but boy am I glad. since the mastectomy she has become withdrawn, dressing very down, as if she doesn't want anyone to see her, whilst she does leave the house, it is only when she has too.

I tell her everyday how beautiful she still is, and I could never be without her. I am by far from Prefect but once a month since we met I always buy her flowers and continue to do so. Every morning before i leave for work, I tell her to get herself out & about, so & see friends or family, and that she is gorgeous . I have offered to throw out her entire wardrobe and go & buy her a new one, but she does not want that (she hates shopping anyway) whilst the intimate side has died, whilst that was always an important side of our life, I can live with that.

However, nothing seems to have an effect on the way she feels about herself, I truly want her to get some joy back in her life, but seem to be running out of suggestions.

If any of you ladies would be able to give me any suggestions to get start her back on the path. we maybe over 60 but we are not dead yet.

Many thanks for reading this rant.

S

• Hi  

I can see that you joined the community several years ago and I hope you've found it an informative and supportive place to be.

As you know, the online community is divided into different support forums so I'm going to recommend that you join the carers only forum which is a great place to ask questions and share experiences with others who may have had a similar experience.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your wife's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"