Awaiting diagnosis - how to cope?

• 3 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi,

I hope it’s ok to post here, as I don’t actually have a diagnosis yet but I’m really struggling to cope and needed somewhere to turn.

I had a colonoscopy last week for rectal bleeding and fecal calprotectin >2000. Everyone was expecting that I had ulcerative colitis, but I actually have a large mass in my rectum. The doctor tried to be reassuring, said his money would be on a complex polyp but could also be cancer. However I can’t get my head around how a polyp could cause such a high calprotectin, and so am 100% convinced it’s cancer.

i just need the diagnosis now. What do I do while I wait?! I’m currently laid in bed reading papers about calprotectin and bowel cancer because I’m sure that higher must be worse, and it’s really not helping. I’m 38, female, have 3 young children. Oh and I’m a doctor, in a completely different field, so I’m a terrible patient. How do I stop myself fixating and help myself go to sleep?! Thank you.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but I am sorry to hear about your ongoing concerns. Navigating a diagnosis journey can indeed be such a stressful and challenging time.

I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a very rare incurable Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and have had years of treatment being all the way to stage 4 and back……. but over these years I have also been investigated for ‘other’ possible cancers. 

Way back in 2012 one of my yearly CTs showed that I had Asbestosis but a lung biopsy confirmed that I did not have Mesothelioma. This has reminded stable to this day so it is no longer checked.

At the start of last year I had a Colonoscopy due to a positive FIT test….. this was all checked out and nothing was found that related to Bowel Cancer…… but my Prostate was enlarged so had a biopsy and again nothing was found.

I highlight all these health ‘concerns’ I had to navigate to illustrate that we can’t assume anything and all the worry and stress in the world…… and indeed you laying in bed reading up on papers will actually not make any difference to what is found….. but will make a significant difference to your physical and mental wellbeing.

My simple mindset in all these years has been ‘I don’t have cancer until I am told different’….. so I get on with my life…… life is short enough 

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so should you find that you are diagnosed with Bowel Cancer I recommend that you join and put up your own post in our dedicated Bowel Cancer Support Group.

This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support. To connect in with the group please click on the link below…….

Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

……. and when the group page opens you will see a [Black - Click to Join - Banner] at the bottom of the page, click in this box and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

You can then introduce yourself to the group by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post]or [+] in the top right of the group page.

The Macmillan Support Line is open between 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi

My Dad has just come out of hospital following a bile duct obstruction that has led to him being placed on the cancer pathway. He is awaiting a PET scan and 2nd endoscopy to grade and stage pancreatic cancer.

I am trying to create a forum for this but cannot seem to find a way to create a discussion etc..

Any help appreciated

thanks

M

• Hi  and a warm welcome to you as well but sorry to hear about your dad.

The Community is divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)……… if you care to have a look through THIS LIST you will find all our dedicated cancer support groups listed…… it’s so important to get the right group as not all cancers react in the same way.

These groups are safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family members who are navigating the same journey.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge