News to me

• 2 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi everybody, I hope you’re having a good weekend. After a colonoscopy, and having 3 polyps removed, and another biopsied, I've been told I have high-grade dysplasia cells, which would be very likely to become cancerous if not treated. I have a CT scan early this week to look for any tumours elsewhere.  I vary between nervousness and thinking I'll cross each bridge if&when i come to it. Also having epilepsy and diabetes, I'm not a stranger to medical diagnoses, but this feels quite different. It's harder. One of the most difficult things at the minute, is also trying to help my partner cope. She's a natural worrier, and is very stresssed about the whole thing. I reassure her that I haven't actually had a diagnosis at this stage. However, I have a genetic condition making it likely (Lynch syndrome).  Does anybody have any advice for me? Thank you in advance. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but I am sorry to hear about your ongoing investigations.

Navigating a diagnosis journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' journey can help you a lot. (I have a completely different cancer story).

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)……. but I do see that you have already joined and posted in our dedicated Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer.

This group is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

The Macmillan Support Line is open between 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for your response Mike, and for the information. I a appreciate your help, and I agree that hearing other people's experience is the most useful support, as trying to guess what the next steos night be is difficult and doctors can or will only tell you varying amounts of some of the information I'm looking for, depending on their approach to their job. I've found a local MacMillan hub in a hospital 10 or so miles away, so I'll reach out to them, and I'll definitely look for a Maggies Centre too. Thank you once again, and all the best with your journey.