Frustrated rant

• 1 reply
  • 38 subscribers

Hi, 

I was diagnosed with kidney stage 4 kidney cancer 6 months ago. It was discovered after I fainted and ended up in casualty. Just before the final diagnosis my go put me on iron tablets for anaemia. After the ct scan my gp phoned to tell me I had stage 3 kidney cancer and I’d need my right kidney removed. So far so good.

I attended the urologist appointment at the hospital and was told I had stage 4 kidney cancer on the left kidney!!!  
I then saw the oncologist who confirmed that and gave me options. While there asked if I should keep taking the iron tablets. I was concerned they might be contraindicated with the drugs. He was quite non commital and ambivalent and didn’t really give me an answer. I stopped the tablets.

10 weeks later I still had anaemia, but wouldn’t have known if I hadn’t asked for the numbers. Consultant said take iron tablets. I asked about thyroid numbers and he admitted he didn’t know I had a pre-existing thyroid problem!

I have now lost confidence in both doctors. I thought I was getting all round care but feel as though I’ve been hung out to dry.

where do I go from here? Good to get that off my chest!

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but I am sorry to hear about your frustration.

Navigating a cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help you a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend that you join and put up your own post in our dedicated Kidney Cancer Support Group.

This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support. To connect in with the group please click on the link below…….

Kidney cancer

……. and when the group page opens you will see a [Black - Click to Join - Banner] at the bottom of the page, click in this box and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

You can then introduce yourself to the group by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post]or [+] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

The Macmillan Support Line is open between 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge