Bowel cancer out of the blue!

• 2 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with bowel cancer just two days ago. I’ve been reading on here and thought I’d just share my story. I had a positive FIT test and at first as I was feeling well and no symptoms said I didn’t want the colonoscopy. However a a few days later after speaking to my GP I got a phone call from the colorectal surgeon at our local hospital asking me to reconsider. I did. So 4 weeks ago had a colonoscopy and a large polyp was removed. Wednesday I went to see him and was asked 3 times if I wanted my husband to come in. He did along with my 22yr old grandson. Straight away he said it was cancer and so I needed bloods doing and would have a CT scan. Things moving quickly as going this morning for scan. My head is all over the place. I’ve started having tummy ache but nothing more. To everyone who is going through this either as the patient or the family I wish you all the very best of luck. Jan x

• Hi Jan   and a very warm welcome to the Community but I am sorry to hear about diagnosis.

Navigating a cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help you a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend that you join and put up your own post in our dedicated Bowel Cancer support group.

This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link below…….

Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

……. and when the group page opens you will see a [Black - Click to Join - Banner] at the bottom of the page, click in this box and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

You can then introduce yourself to the group by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post]or [+] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

The Macmillan Support Line is open between 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Jan

2017 after a positive poo test I was sent for a colonoscopy...bowel cancer diagnosed...major shock...no real symptoms...I was on Methotrexate for arthritis which caused tummy problems and put minor bowel issues down to taking the pills...anterior resection to remove the tumour...no chemo...monitored for 5 years and finally discharged in 2022 after clear scope.

If I had not taken the poo test I probably would not have been posting this.

Take care and best of luck

Peter