Wife mouth case

• 6 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi. My wife was diagnosed with mouth cancer a few months ago and had surgery last week. She was in theatre for 10+ hours, had to have part of her cheek removed as well as teeth and bone. They took a skin graft from her forearm and one from her stomach. They had to Lazer the floor of her mouth as well as her tongue too. After being in for 10 days she came home with a shopping bag full of meds but was only home 2 days before having to go back in with an infection in her neck. She's in hospital now and I've no choice but to go into work. Luckily our adult kids and friends are helping. We are fortunate in the sense that our employer (we both work for the same company) has said they'll give her full pay regardless for "as long as it takes." Thing is I don't think we can bank on this and my wife is worrying despite my urging her not to. In the past 24 hours I've had to sit with her and basically just hold her while she's cried. She's scared and in so much pain. We've been told she may need radiotherapy and a second op too rebuild replace her teeth too but have to wait for results to come back. Prior to her op they were very positive about a successful outcome. Obviously, others are going through this too or have been. How long can it take to get an outcome please? What help, financially should we need it is available? So many questions. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

• Hi Alan

I finished Chemoradio for HPV16+  T2N1M0 tonsil cancer just over a year ago, treatment is tough but outcomes for HPV16+ cancers are very good....have a look at the head and neck cancer forum ...Head and neck cancer forum | Macmillan Online Community...plenty of sound advice and support from patients who have been on the same journey

Peter

• Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply. While the technical bits went right over my head I'll take a look at the bread and neck forum now. 

Thanks 

Terry

• Hi Terry

The head and neck forum is great, full of lovely cancer survivors, carers, family and friends who have been through or are going through tough times...always someone about.

Take care and best of luck.

Peter

• Hi Alonon68

To connect in with the group please click on the link below…….

Head and neck cancer

……. and when the group page opens you will see a [Black - Click to Join - Banner] at the bottom of the page, click in this box and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

You can then introduce yourself to the group by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post]or [+] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• What help, financially should we need it is available? So many questions.

Hi  

Do join us in the head and neck cancer group

I'll add that Macmillan can give you financial advice in that they can signpost you to where you should be looking. Once you have cancer you are classed as disabled and have rights at work. Do give the support line (number at the bottom of this post) and they can help

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • She's scared and in so much pain.

Contact her CNS straightaway. The weekend is coming up and you mustn't get caught out. You wife needs to get her pain relief sorted. There is no need for her to be in the pain you describe

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge