Loosing my dad

• 1 reply
  • 38 subscribers

Hello, 

My dad died 3 weeks ago from bowel cancer. His 3rd cancer in as many years- but this time it wasn’t leaving without him. I helped my mum care for him for 4 weeks before he passed- Cancer is so cruel, he was down to 7st after being 12st at the start. His mind kept sharp all throughout but his body became weaker and weaker. So hard to watch him like that and still have flashbacks now. I just miss him so much, what I would give for a cuddle or a conversation with him. I feel like I’ve been robbed of so much time with him I should have had, he was only 66. 

• Hi  and I am so sorry to hear about your dad, my sincere condolences.

I have lost both my parents over the years….. it’s hard but talking with others who have navigated the same journey can help a lot.

I do see that you have joined and been posting in our dedicated Bereaved Family and Friends Support Group. This is a safe place to connect.

There is quite a lot of information in What to do after someone dies and many hospitals have bereavement services who may be able to offer support.

The Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge