Support for families?

• 3 replies
  • 39 subscribers

2 months ago my mum (86) was living independently in her own home. Following a hospital admission after a fall due to a urine infection she was diagnosed with tumours in her spine, lung, adrenal glands and femur - untreatable. She was moved to a nursing home (which I chose from 3 options given to me) on the NHS continuing healthcare fast track system - but she didn't like it from the start. Following a cough problem after a chest infection she was taken back into hospital just over 2 weeks ago where she remains (where both of us caught covid). Throughout all of this I have received incredibly little support or information. I know that mum will not want to return to the same home - but I have no idea whether a move will be possible.I don't seem to be able to get support or advice from anyone, or even information about mum's palliative care. Any ideas?

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your mum is back in hospital after a chest infection and that she doesn't want to return to her current nursing home.

As the online community is divided into different support forums I'm going to recommend that you join the supporting someone with incurable cancer forum as you'll then connect directly with others who have a loved one with an incurable diagnosis. You may find others there who have changed nursing homes for their loved one and can tell you how they went about this.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

If you have any problems navigating the community just drop me a reply and I'll be pleased to help.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks - have joined. Should I copy my post into that forum?

• Yes, that's the easiest thing to do Slight smile

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"