Ovarian tumour - high chance of malignancy

• 2 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hello

I've recently had an unidentified tumour discovered near one of my ovaries.  It was a chance find after an ultrasound to check the location of my IUD as the strings were noted to be missing at a smear.

I've had an MRI and the mass has been graded as ORADS5 - highest chance of it being malignant.  I'm now waiting for a second consultant appointment on the 19th.

This has really come out of the blue and whilst I am so grateful that the nurse doing my smear flagged the missing IUD which led to this ultrasound I'm really overwhelmed by what will happen next.

I've always had fibroids, cysts and endometriosis so used to the majority of the symptoms that are also linked to ovarian and endometrial cancer so hadn't thought that anything was 'more wrong' than usual.

When I last saw the consultant before the MRI results were available, the assumption was it would be a fibroid and they would look to do a laparoscopy to remove the fibroids but would they now be more likely to do a hysterectomy to get rid of everything?  Or are there other options to establish if it's malignant first?

I'm 47 so my child bearing years are over and I'm on the verge of menopause anyway but just trying to understand what I need to be asking my consultant when I see her again.

Thanks in advance

Becks

• Hi Becks  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your ongoing tests.

Navigating the diagnosis journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' journey can help a lot.

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend that you join and put up a post in our dedicated Ovarian Cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link below…….

Ovarian cancer

…… then once the group page opens you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post]or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge