Breast reconstruction

• 5 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi all, I hope u can help. I was just told that the lump I found in my breast thankfully is pre cancerous but I need a mastectomy with reconstruction.  Still not sure if to have it done or not, any one have done it?

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your challenges.

Navigating the journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' journey can help a lot.

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Breast Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link below…….

Breast cancer

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Good morning hope you’re well? I had a mastectomy on my left breast in 2020 l was offered the reconstruction it is not compulsory l felt at my age 67 l would not have the reconstruction on my breast. My nurse is very helpful l call her when l need updates My main concern at the moment is the Letrozole 

medication l was asked to take for five years l am feeling the side effects of the medication it’s making my bones and joints very stiff and painful 

My suggestion is speak with the nurse and GP if it’s Pre -cancerous it seems very drastic to have a mastectomy and reconstruction but it’s your choice mine was cancerous therefore l had the mastectomy l declined the reconstruction because of my age and length of surgery- l still receive regular checks 

hopefully this helps (it’s your decision…) 

your choice 

good luck Fingers crossed 

best wishes 

Dawn 27

• Thank u so much. I am 50 and seeing the plastic surgeon tomorrow.  I was told the lump I felt plus they told me on the mammogram they found a deeper classification which all in all came to 5x2 cm pre cancerous, I don't relatively have big boob's so I was advised it's a mastectomy to the left breast. I'll go tomorrow and decide.  Thank you for the advice and all the best 

• You’re welcome l am pleased l was of help - mine had not gone into any leesians thankfully they seen it in time. l wear the prosthetic artificial breast no one has noticed it so far so good l purchase the bras from M&S - l am still unable to find the white ones in M&S l suggested they sell white as well as black natural 

Good luck for appointment tomorrow 

Best wishes 

Dawn27

• Thanks, I did have a look and seen them at m&s. I have prepared many questions to ask tomorrow,  luckily my husband is coming with me Fingers crossed