No oven

• 8 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi, I'm new to this so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. I'm 40 years old and I was recently diagnosed with stage 3 cervical cancer, and have 2 children at home. 14 and 10. Today my oven has broken and is not fixable, the bottom has a hole burnt through it. My son has an eating disorder (ARFID) and will only eat certain foods. I'm currently off work sick and fighting for sick pay and universal credit are still sorting out LCWRA. Does anyone know where I can get help with an oven? Ive tried universal credit and a discretionary payment from the council and neither will help. Any ideas welcomed. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I've found this information for you from Macmillan about benefits and financial support. Have a look through it and also have a look at this to see if you qualify for a one off Macmillan grant.

If you can't find what you're looking for, or you're not sure if you qualify, then you could give the Macmillan Support Line a call on 0808 808 0000 and speak to one of the welfare rights team. They're available every day from 8am to 8pm so you could give them a ring this evening.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you. I got the Macmillan grant when I was diagnosed. It was £100 at the time and I used to do a food shop. I'm not entitled to another but thank you so much. 

• Ok, but you could still give the Support Line a call to see if they know of any benefits you might be entitled to.

((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you, we've been through everything. The only other thing I'm entitled to is disability for my son when he's received his autism diagnosis, but we're on a waiting list. Thank you so much for your reply. 

• Sorry to hear about your challenges.

Up here in the Highlands in Scotland there are a few Charities who take in second hand electrical goods, refurbish them and are available free of charge so it my be worth doing a Google search to see if there is something the same in your area.

Also contact Citizens Advice as they may well have local information that can help you out.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Try local rotary club.... British Red Cross, Freemasons are charitable.

• Hi  

I’m really sorry to read of your current situation but see you have already had some helpful replies and suggestions.

If you’d like to join us in the Cervical Cancer Group, that might be an extra place for you to get some emotional support given your recent diagnosis. There are ladies there who have been through treatment for a stage 3 diagnosis and come out the other side who could maybe help you and share their experiences.

The link is here and if you click in it you will get to the group and be able to introduce yourself.

Cervical Cancer Forum

I appreciate that your big concern right now is getting an oven, and there are a few good suggestions others have made about organisations which can maybe help. Meanwhile, if you’d like to join our group and have a chat there, you might find that useful too. Have you got any support around you with friends and family? I do hope so as cancer can be hard to deal with on your own and you do have a lot to deal with right now.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• You could try putting a "wanted" request onto your local Freegle &/or Freecycle groups. And explaining why you need one. Someone might donate an air fryer oven or even a full size one. Or ask Social Services. Some areas have charitable groups that give furniture to people and SS would know where they were.