The scary waiting game!

• 4 replies
  • 40 subscribers

I haven’t been had the tests yet but I need to post. 
A visit to my GP a couple of weeks ago for something I told myself was minor but fixable, has catapulted me into a situation where I’m on the cancer fasttrack. 
By last Friday I was sitting in front of a consultant and he’s talking about urgent biopsies, waiting for the pathology.  A couple of the answers I gave him to the questions he asked appeared to move me further up the urgent list.  
There’s an awful inevitability about this process.  And it’s forced me to look at the things that have been happening in the light of “what if”, rather than “this is minor”.   The shock is wearing off now and if I take the emotion our of it, I have to say that I’ll be very surprised if I get an all clear diagnosis.  
I’ve lost both of my parents to this awful disease,  one of them less than a year ago.  

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've lost both your parents to cancer so it's natural for you to worry that the symptoms you currently have, plus the fact that you're waiting to have biopsies, means that you too will have cancer. However, lots of things can have the same symptoms and the biopsies are as much to rule out cancer as to find it.

The online community is divided into different support forums where you can ask questions, share experiences and get support. As you haven't said what type of cancer you're being investigated for I can't give you a direct link to the relevant group. You can either look through this list to choose the group or reply to me with the cancer type and I'll give you a link.

Once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your symptoms and any tests you've had/are due to have into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Julie

Most lumps and bumps turn out to be benign....try not to overthink the outcome....and stay clear of Dr Google.

Consultant has to look at the issue from every angle....that's his job....you are in good hands

Take care and best of Luck

Peter

• Thanks, good advice.  I’m definitely in overthinking territory! We don’t usually hear about all the people who get the all clear.  

• Thanks will update my details.