Not yet diagnosed but NHS app tells me I’m on the waiting list for surgery

• 2 replies
  • 39 subscribers

I am awaiting results of my biopsies after mammograms showed micro calcifications. i was told I would hear back in 7-10 days. After which I phoned the unit & it was explained to me about the weekly multi disciplinary meetings. I was told I would receive a phone call today if it was cancer, or a letter if it wasn’t. Here’s the thing-  last week I was in my nhs app & discovered that I am on a waiting list for breast surgery. I have coped well so far as I had in my head that today is the day I get answers, but I have received no contact. I am now highly anxious and tearfull. I go away in a couple of days and just want to know what is going on so I can get my head round things.  I feel like I am holding my breath

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your ongoing diagnoses.

Navigating the diagnosis journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot.

I have a completely different cancer and been on my journey for over 25 years, unfortunately telephone calls not happening on the day you are told they would does often happen….. it’s not great but stuff can get in the way and calls are not made…….. but pick up the phone and call them and find out what is going on and tell them that you are anxious for answers.

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Breast Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link below…….

Breast cancer

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Stripe808, I am sorry to hear what you are going through, it must be awful, you should phone the unit again and your GP and ask them what is going on and tell them your feeling anxious and tearful as it will speed things up. If your not happy with how long they take to respond to you contact PALS, patient advice and liaison service, they can often help things along. I do hope you not receiving a phone call is a good sign. best wishes.

Eddie xx