Teenage daughter diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia on 22.9.23

• 6 replies
  • 39 subscribers

My beautiful teenage daughter was diagnosed with leukemia on 22 September 2023, and it has been a nightmare 10 months.

For 10 months solid she was an inpatient at alder hey, and has only been living at home for the past 6 weeks. Even now, she has to return to the hospital everyday, 7 days a week for a 2 hour anti-fungal infusion, due to developing a rare fungal infection last October.

Lily turned 17 on 10th May, and has been so devastated by all this, as we all have. We had a family holiday to Majorca last August, and little did we know what was round the corner. It just came completely out of the blue. We returned from Majorca on 12th August, and she kept saying she had a really sore throat and was worried it was septic tonsilitis. On the bank holiday weekend, last weekend of August 2023, she came upstairs and said she felt like she couldn't breathe, and so I rang an ambulance and blue lighted her to the local A & E. She had done her GCSE's that summer and had got a place at the local FE college to study Hair and Beauty (bitter irony, as little did she know she was set to lose all her waist length blond hair). The A & E department ran some blood tests and couldn't understand why she had hardly any white blood cells and neutrophils of 0. something. During years 10 and 11 at school, she had frequent absences because she was always ill with a sore throat/chest infection/cough/cold, where nobody else in the household was ill. For 3 weeks, they continued blood tests and were clueless, coming up with things like "Aplastic Anemia". After 3 weeks of puzzlement, they decided to do a bone marrow biopsy, which I knew wasn't a good sign. A consultant rang me one night after 3 weeks and said they were transferring her to Alder Hey as they had more resource for children, and he still thought it was aplastic anemia. Then came the bombshell, on the day we were transferred to alder hey.

She was diagnosed with ALL (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia) on 22nd Sept last year, and my world collapsed. I honestly felt like I would die of a broken heart.

And I still feel this way.

She had 5 weeks of aggressive chemotherapy last Sept/Oct, and I was staying over in her hospital room one night when she had 4 ‘grand mal’ seizures, each lasting 2 and a half minutes, was transferred to intensive care, in a coma for 3 days, and when she woke up she said she was paralysed from the waist down.

Her nerve endings are coming back and she is having to learn to walk all over again, on a zimmer frame and crutches.

She had waist length blond hair, and is heartbroken as she is now bald (she had planned to study a hair and beauty course last September).

She has completed 5 weeks of chemotherapy, 9 weeks of immunotherapy, and another 5 weeks of chemotherapy, and is now on ‘maintenance’, which is lower level chemo.

She will be receiving treatment until October 2025. We are all broken as a family. I don’t think I will ever mentally recover from this.

I went back to work in January, and work 3 days a week, mostly from her hospital room using the hospital wifi, and caring for her in between, as she can’t do anything for herself.

Its heartbreaking. And my 13 year old boy has found it very difficult, as I’m mostly at the hospital and hardly at home.

Although we had hoped she would be in a position to start college this September, having deferred her place from Sept 2023, the reality is that she will need a further year of rehab before she is able to progress onto college.

I am utterly desperate for success stories, parents of other teenagers who were affected by leukemia who have come out the other side, and whose teenagers have gone on to lead normal lives.

Anybody who can give me some inspiration, please do

• Hi   and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about your daughters journey and diagnosis. 

A cancer diagnosis in the family, especially with someone so young can be such a challenging and stressful time but getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' cancer type or support challenges will help you a lot……. I have been on my rare type of Non Hodgkins Lymphoma journey for over 25 years so I do appreciate the the challenges.

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we try to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our……

Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia

……. support group. This group is a safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family members who are navigating the same support journey.

As for the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your daughter and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our……

Carers only

……. support group where you will connect with a wide range of members navigating the exact same support challenges.

To connect with a group click on the “Bold Italic Links” I have created above …… then once the group page opens click in the [ Black - Click to Join - Banner ] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [ + Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

It is an emotional time supporting family so you might find this Macmillan information your feelings when someone has cancer helpful as well as this link getting help with your emotions.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• My son Jonny was diagnosed with the same in 2012, it was so aggressive that they gave him an 8% chance of survival. He was in the army at the time and had just celebrated the birth of his first daughter having been married the year before.

It was a tough couple of years with chemotherapy every day and blood transfusions.

He spent most of the time at Christie’s but later was made an outpatient.

In 2019 he won the bronze medal for weightlifting at the Invictus Games in Sydney Australia.

I have just finished treatment for Hodgkins Lymphoma and he has been an inspiration to me.

His advice would be, stay strong and fight, never give up and pray for the miracle. Even in the toughest times, believe and fight on.

I will pray for your daughter and your family, whether you believe in God or not, hopefully you too will see a miracle happen right before your eyes.

• Hi, thankyou so much for your words of comfort and inspiration. I am very grateful for the success story of your son, and sorry to hear of your own battle. She responded very quickly to the initial round of chemo last year, and so I'm hopeful that this quick response lessens any risk of relapse. She's on maintenance chemo until October 2025, so as you know, its a long treatment program, but as your son has proven, its possible to come through and to live a normal life. Does he still have regular checkups?

• Yes Jonny still has regular checkups and will do so for the rest of his life. 

I’m so glad to hear that your daughter is responding well to treatment, at first our worlds fall apart but then we learn to live with it whilst at the same time determined to beat it.

The survival rate is far, far better these days and better drugs Etc. are being developed all the time.

Please send my regards to your daughter, and stay strong as a family.

Kind regards 

Andrew

• Thankyou for your support with all of this, it is greatly appreciated. I'm still in a state of stunned bewilderment and can't get my head round it all, even though in September it will have been a year since original diagnosis. Was your son's B-cell ALL? He's done remarkably well to come through it all, and presumably to live a full and active life? My daughter has this ongoing fungal infection that requires daily infusions for the next 6 months, so its daily trips to the hospital until december, but at least she is being very closely monitored. I also have a 13 year old, but his immune system is rock solid and always has been. My daughter has always, since she hit her teens, been struck down with coughs, colds, viruses every other week. She had a covid vaccine in 2022 in order that we could go on a family holiday to majorca, and an anti-vaxx mate of mine insists that that's what caused her leukemia, and there has been a rise in turbo cancers linked to the vaccine, particularly in young people. Not sure how true that is, but I'm always searching for answers as to why she got it and how I can safeguard against it ever happening again. Any advice on how to move forward without worrying and fretting about any sort of relapse?

• Hi there,

Yes Jonny is nothing short of miraculous, unfortunately I don’t really know much in detail about his cell counts Etc. he is 38 and been in remission since 2016. All I know for sure is he is fit and healthy, but that doesn’t mean cured, like I say it’s remission, so he has regular checks.

It’s always a worry when your child is sick, no matter their age. People will say don’t worry but that is easier said than done, but what we found helpful was to only worry about the things in our control, and check ourselves when we worried about things out of our control. It does take some self discipline and personally I would say the Alcoholics Anonymous sobriety prayer which is; Lord God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Your daughter is in the best hands possible, the chemo unit nurses really are the best, they are hard working and always bright and cheerful, they are dedicated and always up for a chat. Likewise the doctors and consultants are experts in their fields, I have had only positivity from them.

I believe that you are all going to come through this like many many others before you, and that day will come when your daughter will ring that bell. Stay strong, she needs you strong.

I hope this gives you some encouragement, I can only speak from experience, but not all experiences are the same, but we can all glean from one another.

Best regards 

Andrew.