Could cancer be possible? Lymphoma?

• 4 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

As the name suggests, I am worried about my 8 year old daughter. I took her to the drs a couple of weeks ago following some episodes of sudden chest pain along with fainting/dizziness. She passed out the first time very briefly, and came round quickly so we put it down to the heat, and dehydration. She's only properly passed out once but says on standing for a long time she gets this pain in her chest and dizzy. Dr checked her over. ECG fine and did bloods which also came back mostly fine. Dr checked her weight and she's actually lost weight since last year. She used to be over 4 stone but now under. I assumed she was just having a growth spurt but since knowing her weight hasn't maintained but actually dropped I've been really worried that something is wrong. So I check her temp - little temp but below 38. She's also got a grape sized swollen gland on the side of her neck. I continue to check her temp with an ear thermometer for the rest of the week and it's still higher, sometimes over 38 other times under. So I get back in touch with the Dr to review the bloods and explain I've been really worried knowing she has lost weight and mention her temperature and swollen gland. I didn't think to check her temperature before then and I've had swollen glands that have turned out to be fine so figured that would just got away. So Dr said to bring her back. She checked her over again, her temp was normal at the dr's and the Dr could feel many glands in her neck and ears that were raised on both side, but also found either side of her groin.

Hospital said to monitor her temp for the next few days as bloods have been okay. I think I'm going to get a new thermometer just to make sure it is working properly as it has read higher on me also.

I'll be honest I've got myself in a worried state and wonder if I'm just over reacting. My daughter is mostly fine in herself, complains of tiredness from time to time, has always been pale, has been complaining of lower leg/foot pain just one side but didn't think that was relevant I'm not sure. She's also autistic so to be honest unless her arm was literally falling off she would say she felt fine anyway.

Please if anyone has had similar symptoms that they don't mind sharing I'll be so grateful.

To summarise her symptoms are

Chest pain that comes and goes

Swollen cervical and inguinal glands

Temperature (will double check this)

Weight loss.

Thank you so much in advance.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us and to hear the concerns you have about your daughter.

I am Mike and I was diagnosed with my first type of Lymphoma in 1999 then a second in late 2013 so I know this journey well.

Your daughter is presenting some of the Symptoms of Lymphoma but at the same time these could relate to something completely different……. and I will say I had none of these symptoms.

The Diagnosis of Lymphoma requires two main activities to be done….. a biopsy and scans.

Although Lymphoma is a blood cancer it does not show up in a blood test - yes very confusing.

You need to keep working with her GP, keep a very clear daily record and keep pushing for answers. 

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

((Hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• ……. I will also add that we have 4 granddaughters now 7, 9, 10 and 11 they have all presented with one or a few of the symptoms at some point in time and are a fine ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for your reply. I'll keep monitoring over the next week and defo push with the GP Blush

• From our experience with our granddaughters they have often had issues that can mimic many types of illnesses but glad to say nothing was ever found as the symptoms passed as they got older ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge