Paget’s of the Breast

• 2 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi I’m new here, I’ve been diagnosed with Paget’s disease of the breast, I first saw my consultant last April 23 with my concerns but they were very mild, itchy nipple and small creamy discharge, I had a mammogram but nothing showed up so I was sent on my way! I had lost my Mother 11 months previously she had breast cancer and had a mastectomy 6 months earlier. Things seem to settled down with my breast until this February, I went to my GP and saw the nurse practitioner who wasn’t worried about it but because I wanted it to be checked by breast surgeon I was obviously concerned because of my Mother,  the nurse reluctantly sent me on a two week referral. I went to my first appointment where again I was seen by the same consultant as the year before and the same guy who took care of my Mother! So I had examination, Ultrasound and Mammogram again nothing showed up! As the breast was discharging most of the time it was agreed to solve this problem they would remove the milk ducts and do punch biopsy at the same time, so I had my date a couple of weeks later which to everyone surprise and disbelief it was diagnosed as Paget’s … and after two pathologist opinions it was confirmed. A long story and having to wait 8 weeks after 1st Op for my MRI this couldn’t be done before because scaring and needed to recover, so next operation was booked for 17th July this was cancelled at 7pm as they had over run in theatre, I was beside myself and my anxiety was off the scale…I now have new date for my operation which is 31st July when I’m having my breast conserving surgery …taking away nipple, areola and clearance to the chest wall, reconstruction at a later date has been offered!…I’m finding things so stressful and not sleeping that why I’m writing this at 1.30 am. 
Is anyone else going through similar? 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your journey so far.

Navigating this journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' pathway can help a lot.

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Breast Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link below…….

Breast cancer

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for welcoming me, I’ve been feeling very alone with all my feelings so it’s nice to have somewhere where you can connect with people..especially in the early hours when sleep will not come! 
    Hugs Eddie