What other gel can be used with Flamigel?

• 5 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hello, I am now on my 10th session of Radiotherapy for anal cancer. I have a very sore vagina as well as a sore anus and I was told to use E45. After reading the instructions I informed them that I should not be using E45 on genitals so I was given Flamigel which also stung on my vagina. I was then advised to try Instillagel as it will numb it but no one appears to know if you can use this with Flamigel. I have asked the Radiotherapy team, 2 doctors and a pharmacist and everyone one is unsure or says to leave a couple of hours between applying. So I am reluctant to try it at all to be honest, if anyone knows the answer or even a different gel I can use I would be most grateful. I have also tried to find out if I can use home grown Aloe Vera, on genitals is fine but I do not know if it can be used while having Radiotherapy? I am also taking Chemotherapy tablets which may make a difference, thank you. 

• I have read that Epaderm ointment  or cream are suitable for radiotherapy use but we have not tried them yet. Tesco I think sell it, & Boots. They are steroid free and also SLS free. SLS is apparently an irritant and could possibly be the cause of your problems.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read how sore you are after having radiotherapy and it must be very uncomfortable.

As the online community is divided into different support forums, I'm going to recommend that you join the anal cancer forum which is a great place to ask your question, share experiences and get support from others who have a similar diagnosis to you.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much I will look into the Epaderm.

• Thank you I have just joined the anal cancer forum, I thought I did that the other night but obviously not Joy

• Thank you so much I will look into the Epaderm.