Newly Diagnosed With Prostate Cancer

• 3 replies
  • 36 subscribers

I am 86 years old, fit ,active and mentally alert. Here is a list of events that happened to me recently in chronological order:

1) March 2024: Noted first blood in urine.

2) April 2024: Cystoscopy procedure found abnormal tissue on prostate urethra wall.

3) April 15, 2024: Underwent partial bipolar TURP operation to remove some tissue for cancer examination.

4) April 19, 2024: Pathology examination showed prostate adenocarcinoma with ductal variant features. Gleason score 8 ( 4+4 ), N0M1

5) May 1,2024 : Bone scan.

6) May 9, 2024 : CT Scan

Both scans showed suspected cancer spread to T12 of spine ( one site only ).

7) The doctors in charge felt that there was " likely " micrometastatic cancer spread, so I was prescribed hormone treatment ( Casodex 30 days + ongoing Zoladex injection).

8) Unhappy with the lack of clarity of diagnosis, I requested a second look at my cancer staging. My request was met with a positive response from a medical oncologist who ordered a PSMA PET Scan. It will be done on July 18.

9) My major concerns now: (a) Side effects of hormone treatment. Since my testostarone level as an old man is already at a low level, can I expect less side effects? (b) My urine flow is not normal after the TURP operation. When the bladder is full, urine flow is a single stream. When the bladder is not full, the urine stream is split. This seems to indicate that my urethra has been deformed by the instrument of the TURP operation.

I would appreciate very much if some of you could shed some lights.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses and ongoing journey.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)…… but I do see that you have already found and joined our dedicated Prostrate cancer support group.

This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link below…….

Prostate cancer

…… then once the group page opens you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike, thank you very much for the information. I am a Canadian of Hong Kong origin now living in Toronto but I do have some Scottish connection as I graduated from Strathclyde University in 1969. I love Scotland and feel great to hear from a highlander!

• Good to have you here…..  as you may realise the Macmillan Cancer Support is a UK based Charity so some of the support links I have given you would require a significant commute Wink

But the Prostrate Support Group is a good place to get and give support…… just remember there will be differences in how the UK health system functions in comparison to Toronto.

I also went to Strathclyde University but a few years after you.

I am still in the Highlands living in beautifully Inverness.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge