Immnotherapy

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi, I'm new to this and have a few questions.

My husband had a tumour removed from his spine in April - the pain had been diagnosed as a pulled muscle until on the second trip to A&E a CT scan showed a tumour.

We were then on a rollercoaster of operations& scans.   4 months later the scans show no detectable other tumours.  He is now about to start immnotherapy.

My question to the doctor - how long does he need to have this for?

Her reply  - for as long as it works.

Has anyone had experience of immnotherapy, does it really go on forever??   The side-effects scare me on his behalf? 

• Hi  

Welcome to our community though we are always a little bit sorry to see a new member join our special club.

What type of cancer does your husband have? 

My wife had two lots of chemotherapy, the first caused some unwanted side effects but it was possible to treat them and the second caused her cancer to go to sleep - we have been living with cancer now for over 10 years.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi there, welcome to the group! I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis and the rollercoaster you've both been on. It's amazing that the scans are showing no detectable tumors, and that he's about to start immunotherapy.

I totally understand your concerns about the treatment and its duration. The doctor's response can be a bit unsettling, I'm sure. Immunotherapy can be a long-term commitment, and it's true that it can continue for as long as it's effective.

From what I've learned, immunotherapy can be a lifelong treatment for some people, but it's not always the case. It really depends on the individual's response to the treatment and how their body reacts to it.

As for the side effects, they can be scary, but it's great that you're being proactive and doing your research. It's essential to have open and honest conversations with your husband's doctor about the potential side effects and how to manage them.

There are many people in this group who have gone through immunotherapy, and I'm sure they'll be happy to share their experiences with you. You might want to ask about their specific regimens, how they've managed side effects, and what their doctors have told them about the duration of treatment.