Partner diagnosed with prostate cancer. What are the next steps likely to be?

• 2 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hello all, unfortunately we have received the sad news that my partner has been diagnosed with prostate cancer following his biopsy. He has been given a Gleason score of 4+3 and has been seen again for a bone scan which we are hoping will be clear. Treatment will be discussed with us after the results of the bone scan but if given the option he is looking to take the hormone therapy and radiotherapy route. 

For how long do you generally go on hormone therapy before starting radiotherapy treatment? I have read that it is a minimum of three months but I thought I heard the nurse mention one month (although my mind was all over the place so may be wrong) but after doing some reading, one month is starting to make less and less sense. 

I look forward to hearing some insight from your experiences and I wish you all the very best. 

Tara 

• Hi Tara

Welcome to our community though sorry to hear about your partner, my cancer experience is also with a partner but a very different form of cancer though I do have a benign enlarged prostate.

There is a lot of information on our main site here though hopefully you have already seen that, you might also like to look at our Prostate cancer forum since there are lots of friends sharing their experiences there who if you post may be able to give you better insight than here.

How are you too, I really struggled at first while my wife seemed to be coping better than me. We also have a couple of other groups you might like to look at Family and friends forum and Carers only forum where the focus is on supporting us to help ensure we are in the best position to help those we love.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Good morning  

Hi Tara, my name is Brian and I hang around on the Prostate cancer forum here at Macmillan and am 30 months into a Hormone therapy / Radiotherapy journey.

I see you have already been given some great advice by my friend Steve ( and you have joined our Prostate forum. Why not introduce yourself there by posting in the "New Here, Say Hello" section - we are a friendly bunch and there's lots of great advice from people who have "been there - done that".

To answer your initial question though, it a minimum of 3 months to allow the Hormone Therapy to do it's job and stop the production of testosterone and thus deprive the cancer of it's source of food.

I look forward to "meeting" you again on our little part of the Community.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.