The journey of grief

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 35 subscribers

My dear brother died just before Christmas. He had prostate cancer and sadly by the time he went to the doctors, he was already terminally ill.... a stage 4 diagnosis. 

I miss him dreadfully and wanted to find a group/forum which would understand how difficult the loss of a loved one can be. I too have cancer though, at the present time, I am in remission.  

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about your brother, my sincer condolences to you and your family.

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we try to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)……. but I can see that you have already joined our dedicated……

Bereaved Family and Friends Support Group.

……. support group. This group is a safe places to talk to others who are navigating the same challenging journey, to ask questions and get support.

To connect with the group click on the “Bold Italic Links” I have created above …… then once the group page opens you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [ + Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

As for your own cancer you may want to look through THIS LIST you will find all our dedicated cancer support groups listed.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Many thanks, Mike. As someone very new to this online community, I appreciate your help and condolences. Grief can feel overwhelming and even the smallest challenge can be very daunting. I shall ponder your advice re. different joining the forums which may focus on my particular concerns.

Thanks again and with every kind wish, Elsbeth.