Newly Diagnosed

• 4 replies
  • 38 subscribers

I was diagnosed this week with follicular cancer and I’m having a PET scan on Monday.  I don’t have any symptoms other than a small lump on my neck. I’ve managed to tell three people, including my daughter - that was really hard - but I can’t bring myself to tell my parents. 

• Hi  sorry to see you joining the community.

When you say Follicular Cancer are you talking about Follicular Lymphoma ?

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Yes, it’s a follicular lymphoma. I don’t have all the right terminology yet. It’s all a bit new, concerning, and whilst I feel I can manage mentally for now, I worry about how my family will react - I also feel angry that they are not strong enough to handle my new diagnostic. I’ve always been very independent and don’t even know whether I should tell my mum and dad. 

• Thanks for this  .

So I have lived with and been treated for a different type of Low-Grade Non Hodgkins Lymphoma for over 25 years and I turned 68 last Nov and I am still living a great life…… this is very treatable so be encouraged…… as your Follicular Lymphoma comes from the same group of Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphomas

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Follicular Lymphoms support group as this will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

Click n the following link> Follicular Lymphoma then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

I will keep an eye open for you in the group and I can give you further support.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you, Mike. I appreciate your reassuring words and signposting to the Follicular lymphoma page. Wishing you many more happy, healthy years.