Newly diagnosed

• 20 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hello, my name is Maria and I've recently received a breast cancer diagnosis (10th June). This is my first cancer diagnosis and I'm still trying to process the news (shock) as it completely blindsided me. It would be great to talk with some other people also dealing with this disease and how they might have processed the news. 

• Hi Maria  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your BC diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Breast Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link below……..

Breast cancer

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Maria,

How are you? 
    I have recently too been diagnosed with BC. 
    what type is yours? Mine is triple negative. 

the advice I can give is - do not google!! Wait for your appointments or ask on here.

i still haven’t processed what is happening, however I am turning up for the appointments. 
    the advice that I was given was - trust those who you are seeing. 

im trying to see it as a little bump in life and one that can be smashed Punch 

xx

• I'm newly (2 weeks) diagnosed, too, and still in a lot of shock. I've spent the last several days researching a lot about nutrition. I have completely changed my diet to a whole food and plant based. Dropping to low fat.

• My way of processing has not been ideal. I've cried a lot. I've felt a lot of fear. I guess what I did best was use a lot of my anxiety to fuel research. This is a nightmare though. I'm afraid. 

• Hi Missy210,

Thank you for your words of support.

I'm also sorry to hear you are going through this too. My BC is HER2+ at least grade 2. I'm expecting to start 6 months chemo in the next week or so, then surgery after.

I agree,  let's smash this disease! Muscle

xx 

• Hi NicoleBrownX,

I'm sorry to hear that.

I've also heard that fasting can boost the immune system. I've been trying to boost mine with diet the last few days (plant based, whole foods), but I will also try some intermittent fasting too whilst waiting for my treatment to start.

With regards to metformin and berberine, did you request these yourself after researching or were you offered them by your consultant? 

xx

• I've had to go on an infodiet for a few days as the anxiety was causing me a lot of chest tightness and tension headaches. Long hot baths and meditation music have been helping me a bit. I'm going out for a long walk today, hoping that also helps to bring down the anxiety levels.

xx

• Hi Nicole,

I haven’t changed my diet at all. Just continued my life (as much as I can) as normal. 

I am not sure what has caused my cancer. Either the BRCA gene or pure unlucky. I have had the testing, just waiting for results. 

I am also afraid but try to remain as positive as you can. We are afraid because we have lost control. We are unable to change any of this without the support of others and that means waiting. 

Have you been told by the nurses or consultant that diet is defo the cause and to change this? Or is this just the research you have done? 
    Only asking as I asked the nurse what I was to avoid when I started chemo - she said, this is the only time you can eat what you want, when you want. 

hope you’re okay today. Take each day as it comes xx

• Hi MariaS,

I can high 5 you on anxiety! Mine has been through the roof - I’ve experienced shooting pains. Even this morning I’ve got pain on the left side (it’s my left breast affected) and I have convinced myself those pains means it is spreading… !! I mean, what else could the pains be Shrug♀️ !! 

Have you spoke to the GP? 
    They prescribed me propranolol to help when I was waiting for all my results but found it didn’t really help until the dose was raised. 

Have you got the CALM app? I’ve recently downloaded this. It does cost but I got mine half price through work. 

The nurse suggested to me that I have a worry hour each day where I write or whatever everything down in that hour then it had to go away until the next day. To give you the rest. 

hopefully today is a fresh day for you. 
    my day has not begun fresh, hoping it picks up! My anxiety about a CT scan at 7pm tonight is not helping. 

xx

• Hi Missy219

Thank you for your reply.

I haven't yet spoken to my GP, but I'm planning to get there early next week. 

The worry hour sounds like a good idea Bulb. I'll give this a try, thanks Thumbsup

Anxiety can bring on all kinds of pains, for me it's pain in between my shoulder blades, headaches and tightness in my chest, also aching on my left breast and armpit which is where I have the cancer.

All the best for your CT scan xx