Life after cancer

• 3 replies
  • 53 subscribers

4 years ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer. My world fell apart. Had 2 major surgeries resulting in a permanent colostomy bag and a procedure called ‘v ram flap’… many changes down below. 2 years after this it hit my lung - more surgery. My partner then of 3 years vowed to stick by me and was truly wonderful. 2 weeks ago he crushed me. Said he was going to end things before the cancer but felt he had to stay when I found out about it as it would have made him look bad. I’m absolutely devastated, not eating, crying constantly and have the fear of being alone the rest of my life. 
Have my 6 monthly scan next month and can feel it in my gut that it might be back. 
How do I get through this? I want him back sooo much

• So sorry to read this it's truly horrible. My partner changed the second I got diagnosed. On the way he was no matter what I will stand by you. The minute the nurse asked him to come to the room for a chat he ran off. I've had two years of misery but hopefully the courts will rule force if sale and I can start to rebuild my life. Sometimes I believe it scares them more than it does us but you see their true colours. It hurts like he'll I had fifteen years with the person I called my soul mate but I survived the cancer so will get through this. X

• Thank you so much for your reply Poppy. It sounds truly devastating what he put you through. Why are some men so cruel. We didn’t ask to get this awful disease. I know they say time is a great healer but it’s just so raw at the moment and the grief is horrific, I didn’t cry this much when I got my diagnosis. You sound like a very strong woman & I sincerely hope you get what you deserve xx

• Hi  I am so sorry to read about your journey…… I just have no experience in this area  but you may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00.

This service provides practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge