Section 88 Driving after voluntary surrender of driving licence 16 months ago

• 4 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi. Following anunexpected brain tumor associated with my ovarian cancer last year, I was advised by the radiotherapy team to voluntarily surrender my driving licence until such time as treatment had concluded and positive responses had been noted, all of which I'm relieved to say was completed 12 months ago and there has been no recurrences as evidenced by regular MRI scans.  I've been chasing the DVLA for over 6 moths now to get an answer as to when I may be able to drive, my oncology team has written twice to them to support my re-application. After finally having a chat with a lady with some common sense at the DVLA recently, I feel confident in taking responsiblity for confirming I meet the criteria of Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act. However the DVLA will not even confirm where I am up to in their process which is very frustrating.

I have tried to discuss my situation with a number of insurers, however they either have no understanding of Section 88 or just don't offer cover for someone bound by it.

Has anyone had any success with a car insurer (not even thinking about travel insurance just now) who will offer cover until the DVLA reaches it's conclusion or am I resigned to having to wait until that happens...I find it frustrating that I know people who have had other critical conditions e.g. epilepsy, heart attack etc. and had their licence returned within 6 months.

Thanks for reading, any support is much appreciated

• Hi  sorry to hear about the challenges you are having…… although I was advised not to drive for 3 months by my clinical team I was not required to inform DVLA…… let’s see if any members looking in have any first hand experience.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 as this service provides practical information.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for your reply Mike (Thehighlander), I wish that was the advice I was given!  I'd be back behind the wheel now if that was the case :-(.  It was actually a guy on the Insurance part of the support line that suggested I put a post on here to see if anyone else had experienced the same and had any success. Appreciate your reply. 

• Have you tried writing to your MP?

• Thanks Tannith B, I have an am awaiting a response.