Locally advanced rectal cancer

• 4 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I was diagnosed with a locally aggressive rectal cancer in Aug/Sep of 2023. At discovery my tumor was 12.5 cm, it had invaded both my vagina and my bladder. I had had a complete hysterectomy a year prior to diagnosis and there was no sign of cancer at that. I have the tissue biopsy results from the hysterectomy to prove it. 

I am very lucky that the tumor did not spread to lymph nodes or metastisize... that means I had a 12.5 cm stage 2 cancer. My doctors were a bit surprised to say the least! 

I feel more like a higher stage cancer patient because of the devastation the tumor has caused to my pelvic area... I will lose my bladder and most of my vagina in addition to the rectum itself. That means I will have 2 ostomies after my surgery.  

I try to focus on the positives like the high probability of a cure, but I definitely have some bad days. I am thrilled to find an active board. The other ones I am on have about 1 post per month and it is hard to feel supported in a vacuum LOL

One note, I am in the US so my posting times may seem a bit off to my UK brothers and sisters in cancer. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses…… and a special welcome from across the big pond.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but it is recognised that getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)……. but I do see that you have already joined and posted in our dedicated……

Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

…… support group, this will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

The Macmillan Community is UK based and you will find that our medical system works rather differently especially as we don’t rely on medical insurance but our National Health Service (NHS) that is available to all uk residents funded by our taxation system.

If would like to get in touch from outside of the UK they can contact us 7 days a week 8am-8pm (UK time) on +44 207 0912230  email or live webchat

The Macmillan Support Line provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi  and welcome.

I addition to Mike’s good advice to join the bowel group, can I also suggest that you join our stoma support group.

Clicking this link will take you there- Stoma Support Group

I had a different cancer (mine was cervical) but I had the surgery you are about to have just over 4 years ago. If you click on my name you can read my story-my cancer was also stage 2 at my diagnosis, so I completely get what you mean about the feeling of devastation. 

I hope we can connect and that I can help support you with any questions and what my experience has taught me. The good news is that there can be a positive outcome, and I am still here more than 4 years later!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Sarah, thank you so much for responding. I read your bio and you've certainly been through a lot. I am sorry for your troubles but  thrilled to meet someone who has been through this surgery.  I knew there were people with this experience but I've had trouble finding any.. I have been feeling quite alone and it helps just meet you.

Thank you for your detailed bio, it gave me an idea of what I might be facing. 

• Hi  

I see you’ve joined a couple  of groups, so I’m happy to chat to you wherever you feel you want to post! I’m in a number of groups myself, so regularly check them. 

I can tell you I am connected with a number of ladies, many in the States, who have had this surgery and am happy to tell you more about that privately. I will add you as a friend if that is ok-you will see a message notification with my request in the top right of your page. I can then give you some more information. Meanwhile please feel free to post anywhere within the community and you will always receive a response. It’s good to meet you and I’m glad you have found us!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm