Just joined the group

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

I had a cancer scare 8 months ago because I  was feeling tired all the time had an xray showed a spot on my lung got a repeat xray then told it was a reflection from one of my nipples and nothing to worry about. The tiredness still persisted and having an aortic aneurysm  and being 69 years old I put it down to the normal aging process. However at 62 I was diagnosed with the aortic aneurysm I gave up smoking and decided that I would be as fit as possible for my surgery for the aneurysm. I walked 5 miles a day since then. Four weeks ago I had a problem swallowing this happened three timed the third time my neck was paralysed and I nearly chocked to death. I went to see my doctor who ordered another xray. When the results came back he would not tell me what was on the xray he said it was not clear and I would need a ct scan which give more detail. Thect scan results came in and I was called to the surgery urgently. I was expecting to be told there was a blockage somewhere in my throat caused by the aneurysm. At the last aneurysm scan I  had been told that I  now was ready for surgery and would meet the surgeon in two weeks time. In the doctors office I was told that I had a 29mm nodule at the bottom of my right lung and with the density and spiculation there was a strong possibility it was cancer. I had extensive tests two weeks ago and on Tuesday I had a pet scan and seen the consultant immediately after it he told me that the radiographer had not produced his report but he had looked at the pet scan and his opinion was without doubt cancer. He said that I need a biopsy but he said he would be very, very surprised if the nodule was benign as it was extremely active. The good news if I could have any at this stage was that in his opinion it was in the very early stage one or possibly stage 2 the stage would be determined with the biopsy. The cancer was confined to the right lung and none of the lymph nodes had any sign of cancer. He the told me that in his opinion it was completely curable if the removed the bottom lobe of my right lung. All checks regarding my fitness for the operation  and breathing capacity were excellent. The biopsy would be carried out in tree weeks time and was told it would be broncoscopy and I would get the result one week after. If they did not get a valid sample as in up to 40% of cases I would under go the surgery and the biopsy would be taken when before they carry out the main vats surgery. If it wasn't cancer they would close me up again, if it was cancer they would remove the bottom part of my lung. The aortic aneurysm surgery has been put on hold for three months and I have met with the surgeon  who says that it will be open surgery for this as there are two separate aneurysms. At the moment I am in some type of a surreal world I feel fine no aches or pains I am now walking ten miles a day in preparation for the upcoming surgery. I am trying to stay positive but still in denial that there is anything wrong with me. Sorry for the long ramble but I just need some reassurance that this is survivable both from a physical and mental point of view. I am off to see my Doctor  for a 10.00 am appointment to see what his views are.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your journey to diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer although I do also have asbestosis)

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Lung Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link belowPoint down

Lung Cancer

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge