Hi. I'm new here.

• 7 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi. In 12 weeks I've gone from not having any symptoms of breast cancer at all to recovering from lumpectomy and total lymph node removal on the right side. It was such a shock to be told I had a lump when I couldn't feel or see anything, and didn't feel ill or anything. 

I'm finding things difficult as I'm the same age as my mother was when she was diagnosed for the second time and within 3 years she passed away. The hospital staff, my family and friends have been wonderful but I still feel alone in fighting this. I'm also worried about my dad as he had to support my mother and now me. My husband and adult children have been fantastic but my dad's only got me, no other family any more. 

I'm very fortunate to have had treatment so quickly - two weeks since my operation, but I'm having problems with fluid draining after the removal of the drains last week. I'm going back to the hospital every few days for needle aspiration. Any idea how long this problem can go on for? 

Thank you. x

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses and your journey so far.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Breast Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link belowPoint down

Breast cancer

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Tawe68

i just wanted to let you know you aren’t alone in feeling alone even though with support of family and friends. I feel the same - it is very lonely isn’t it. I too had my op very quickly and now on radiotherapy and very tearful. A macmillan support person said to me about doing little good things for myself daily which I hadn’t done so I’m going to give that a go. I think doing something nice for yourself will help distract from the fear that comes with this diagnosis. Thinking of you and hugs xxx

• Thank you so much for your message. It's good to know that it's not just me that feels like this. That's really good advice to do something nice every day. I'm trying to get back into my diamond art as well as I'm sure that'll be a good distraction too. 

I haven't started any other treatment yet, I get the results of the op next week. 

I hope your treatment goes well and we'll both be celebrating it's success soon. xxx

• Thank you so much for your message and the links to other groups. I'm so thankful that the forum is here. x

• I hope all goes well for you once other treatment starts and that the drains are removed soon. That doesn’t sound very nice or comfortable.

i treated myself today after radiotherapy to a new top and shorts plus a cake! I am curious to know what diamond art work is? 

• Thank you. I had a cake after going to clinic today too. We deserve it.Grinning

Diamond art is just sticking little plastic gems on to pictures - a bit like colour by numbers but I find it really relaxing. The kits can be quite cheap to buy too. I make keyrings and Christmas decorations too. 

All the best for your treatment too. x