coping with fear of metastasis

• 5 replies
  • 37 subscribers

How do others deal with the fear that their cancer might return after surgery?

• Hi  ……. I see it’s your son who has the cancer…….. these types of fear is normal but in reality you can’t control and you could live and indeed waste the rest of your life stressed about something that may not happen…… 

Live in the moment, take each day as it comes and as time goes by the days become weeks and months and years.

I have relapsed multiple times over my 25 years, 10+ years beck I developed a more aggressive types of the same cancer but I am 8.5 years out from treatment and getting on with life.

You may find it helpful to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Im the same as you  .im ok for a while then worry starts again.just keep trying to be positive

• Hi  abd welcome to the community.

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) but you don’t say what type of cancer you have but if you care to have a look through THIS LIST you will find all our dedicated cancer support groups listed.

These groups are safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from members who are navigating the exact same journey.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I had RCC and nephrectomy last June and doing immunotherapy at mo. All going well with no side effects. My grade was T3A. Im ok most if the time but have the occasional wobbly with worry of it returning

• As well as our cancer siecifuc groups you may find this one helpful….. Point down

Life after Cancer Group

…… as there are many posts from people who are navigating the maintenance or post treatment journey.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge