Hello from Deep South New Zealand

• 8 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi everyone, I’m recently diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma. The last 5 months of tests, tests, more tests, no answers, uncertainty and then finally the diagnosis at the beginning of March has been quite a journey. I have wonderful support (mostly remote given where I live) from friends and family however feel I need to talk to others in the same space. A terminal diagnosis puts a very different perspective on things that my lovely support crew understand intellectually but they’re not living it - hah bad or good joke that one? Laughing

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different incurable cancer).

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)…… but I do see that you have already joined our dedicated Melanoma support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To best way to connect in with the group is click on the link belowPoint down

Melanoma

…… then once the group page opens you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may also find our…..

Living with incurable cancer - incurable patients only 

……..support group helpful as it will connect you with many people who are navigating the same journey (Please join the group but for everyones safety this will then have to be approved by the Macmillan Community Team so will not happen immediately)

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike, It’s a lot to get to grips with isnt it? Thanks so much for the heads up re the links, particularly the “Living with” as that’s what I’m determined to do, live as best I can. All the best. 

• Hi again as he shouts loudly Joy

I have been on my incurable blood cancer journey for over 25 years (See my story) so I have had time to develop the skill of ‘Living Life” to the full and not letting my unwanted house guest define me and and my family.

All the very best. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi TheGoodLifeNZ and a warm welcome from me, a member of The Living with Incurable cancer - Patients Only forum, which i see you have also joined though not posted yet. I just wanted to say you are very welcome to post or browse and join in any conversation when you feel ready, the girls and guys on the forum are a great bunch, will welcome you as one of our own, will offer any advice and support you want, we help each other when we are down, will understand your emotions as only we can and we like to have a good laugh too. PS your the second lady from NZ to join this week, Look forward to meeting you on the forum, best wishes.

Eddie xx

• Hi Mike,

After reading your story I’m both in awe of what you’ve gone through and terrified all over again at what I might have to face. However face it I will, only when it arrives that is - no point borrowing worry. I too am determined not let my unwanted house guest define me, it’s hard when still in the midst of regular treatment rounds but anything can become the new normal with time..

As a long term yoga practitioner (way before it became fashionable and all Lulu Lemon) and meditator, I have some tools to help with the battle between the ears but wanted and so appreciate this space away from family and friends as sometimes what I want to say is just too confronting for them - it’s tough for them and they’re adjusting as well.

Many thanks again for the warm welcome.

Guilia

• Hi Eddie and lovely to meet you too. It was after reading some posts and conversations and seeing how lovely people were that I decided to join. There is a branch of the cancer society in the town closest to me but they are more geared to face to face contact, events, plus is a one hour round trip given I live rurally so I’m very happy to have found this space. And yes, I noticed the other lady from NZ, I will make a point to contact her. All the best Guilia

• Hello Guilia, as much as i hate cancer, and I have more reason than most to, there's no denying the bond it creates between  people who have it and the amazing people you meet, Mike Thehighlander for example, a truly inspiring guy. as are many on the incurable's forum, Pai po moe pai moe reka,

Eddie xx

• Hi Guilia  ……. we all do what we need to do to evict the guest then keep the doors locked.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge