New here

• 2 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hi I have joined because my sister may have a form of blood cancer. She as had abnormal bloods for while and yesterday the gp said he will refer my sister on the two week pathways to see a hemotolagist blood dr at the hospital for further assessment the dr as said he needs rule out possible blood cancers as her blood work is pointing to something in the body her infection markers are off the scale sorry for the rant judt very worried as my mum died of cancer could not bare thought of losing my baby sister 

• Hi Sammyx11 and a warm welcome to the forum, you have a good rant, we all understand, It is frightening when cancer is mentioned, especially, if like you, you have lost a loved one to it, but raised inflammatory markers can indicate many conditions the hematologist, I hope, will have good news for you both, PS i lost my mum to cancer and have only one sibling now, my baby brother, so i know how much your baby sister means to you, best wishes and hugs, take care.

Eddie

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to hear about your sisters ongoing diagnosis. 

A cancer diagnosis in the family can be such a challenging and stressful time but getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' cancer or cancer support challenges can help a lot.

I have lived with and been treated for my very rare blood cancer for over 25 years and I am still here living a great life…. most blood cancers are very treatable.

There are many different types of blood cancer and these are often treated very differently.

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we try to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)……… but as you don’t know what type she may have it’s best not to dive into any random blood cancer group….. but once you know what type of cancer your sister has you can look through THIS LIST where you will find all our dedicated cancer support groups listed……

These groups are safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family members who are navigating the same journey.

As for the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your sister you may benefit from joining and posting in our 

Family and Friends

support group where you will connect with others navigating the same support challenges.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge