Failed reconstruction

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

Hello! 

sorry it’s a long one and sorry there is so much worse going on for some but I thought this would be the best place to ask if anone else has experienced this. 

in Jan 2021 I had a right side mastectomy and immediate reconstruction due to early stage breast cancer. All straight forward and no complications. 
due to my age and the calcification linear in my left, they said I would be allowed a risk reducing surgery on my left which my mental health was bad not looking the ‘same’ 

my op was cancelled 4 times in the 12 months and I finally had this in a November 23. In my 2nd check up in December, my scar was all black and infected so I had more surgery to remove the scar and re join, I was then discharged after a follow up. 
by the end of January 24, I noticed a ‘scab’ where my nipple used to be, I kept thinking it was just the scar healing but by March 24, I was worried, I went and got it checked out with a follow up app 2 weeks later, the weekend before my appointment, the ‘scab’ popped and was leaking yellow cream fluid out of it and the surgeon said I’d need the scar open, more skin cut away and to lose my implant but he would put an expander in. I had this op on 4th April 24. 2 weeks later with the expander and the same thing happened again but further along my scar this time. I sadly then had to make the decision early May to have it all removed as I was running out of skin. I had that op on 2 May 24. 

im now left with nothing and I really hate it. I’ve got to wait 6 weeks before being fitted with a prosthesis and it’s really affecting my mental health. I know I should be really grateful to even be given the chance unlike some get but just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and is it true that time is a healer? 

thank you and sorry it’s long xx

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your ongoing journey.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Breast Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link belowPoint down

Breast cancer

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge