vascular access port

• 3 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hiya, new here, in treatment for about a month, breast cancer (tripe negative). I've had several treatments, as I am going with the every 3 week cycle, and have additional treatments every week - immunotherapy to be exact. So far, I'm coping with finding veins and drawing blood, but I guess it's going to only get more difficult? I've never been too good with needles either, always fainted. But now I've gained some mental immunity to the whole thing, but still it's not my favourite thing in the world (whose is...?). I have about 5 treatments left in this cycle and then 4 of the next cycle. Is there a point in putting in a vascular access port? They offered this in case my anxiety about needles gets the best of me, but I can't seem to make a decision - I keep thinking, just one more treatment, one more. Anyone here with vascular access port - recommending, not recommending? Additionally, any tips on how to keep your veins in the best shape? I apply the gel with heparin, drink beetroot juice and so forth, but maybe you've got some of your own tricks? Thanks a million everyone xx

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Breast Cancer support groups. These groups are safe places to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the links belowPoint down

Breast cancer

Triple negative breast cancer

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Im new here too! My 2nd message. I just came on here for advice really. I cannot believe there is someone else who does not like needles, as I thought I was the only one.! I have had 2 ports put in and both removed as the first one was put in in Germany, where I have been living & working for 4 years. It was not flushed. Then I was told I had to have the chemo in the UK so Im in Wales Swansea. They took the original port out as it was blocked then put another one in in March, which did not work it was blocked so I had that one removed end of April both in surgery. I absolutely hate needles its only by the grace of God that I have got through-as the nurses all thought I was a huge baby. They asked why I wanted a general when a local would do? They made me feel awful but its my body! I have now finished chemo I had 4 sessions it was supposed to be 6 but the consultant said its enough. I have her2 positive breast cancer. I had a mastectomy last October & lymph nodes removed. I am now on herceptin injections until January 2025. Just had the 3rd but this ones made me a little ill. I think its a vascular port that I had its connected to the heart. I am sure you will be ok. I am the biggest baby going but I am getting through it. But its a long journey........ Linda

• Hi Linda, I completely relate to your thing with needles. You shouldn’t let anyone make you feel like you’re being overdramatic, the phobia is real! I must say that after a few treatments (I’ve had around 7 of them already) my fear has very much subsided, but I still embrace being „a baby” and make the nurses draw my blood etc. lying down. I just said from the very beginning that I need to lie down cause I might faint and now they know to prepare the bed for me the second they see me. The worst thing for me is flushing the cannula between the medications, it bloody hurts sometimes! I’ve started taking vitamin C for keeping my veins stronger and I can see it’s working - the flushing doesn’t hurt as much and I hardly get bruises anymore. But as you’re said - it’s a long journey. I’m being treated in Poland as that’s where I’m from. Stay strong and remember that needles are a common thing to be scared of! My coping mechanism - I close my eyes and jam my fingernails on the other hand into my skin (not the best method probably but helps me not panic)