Hello - new here and feeling a bit overwhelmed

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

Hello, I’m hoping someone has had or is having a similar experience to me and can offer any support or advice please.

I’m 53, I thought I was relatively fit and healthy until I visited my GP with abdominal pains and a lump in my lower abdomen in January this year.

Following a whirlwind of tests I was diagnosed with stage3 bowel cancer. I have a 10cm tumour in my transverse colon which is currently inoperable due to localised spreading to my stomach and pancreas. That diagnosis was on the last day of February, literally the next day I was in hospital for an emergency ileostomy as my large bowel was virtually obstructed. Unfortunately the first op was unsuccessful so I had to have it repeated. Thankfully it has worked second time around. But it’s taking time getting used to living with a bag and finding comfortable clothes that fit over the bag is a challenge!

I have suspected Lynch Syndrome and my oncologist has recommended I start immunotherapy. I had my first cycle of Pembrolizumab in April with the next due in June.

I’ve met some amazing nurses / doctors / healthcare professionals so far covering everything from managing my pain to helping me get showered when I was in hospital.

However I’m finding it really hard to accept my diagnosis, and accept that I’m potentially not going to live as long as I had hoped to. I feel like a big chunk of my future has gone and what’s left is full of medical appointments.

I have an incredibly supportive family, but it’s hard to remain upbeat when you’re having to sort out your lasting powers of attorney. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your journey.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)...... but I do see that you have already joined our dedicated Bowel Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link belowPoint down

Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

you may also find this group helpful

Ileostomy, colostomy and stoma support 

…… once the group page opens click you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge