Mothers anguish

• 2 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi all, I'm new to MacMillan as my son was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a couple of months ago. Unfortunately it has spread to his liver, spleen, adrenal glands and his spine. The doctors have told him he has around a year! Please don't judge.. but he is currently in prison and is not due for release until December. He was left for 6 weeks in agony, pleading for help but being ignored by the medical staff at the prison. He isn't a bad person, just made some stupid mistakes. I have not seen him for over a year and I'm finding this diagnosis so hard to accept. How do other Mothers deal with this? You just never think it will happen to you, do you!

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read about your son's diagnosis and I know what a difficult time this will be for you both.

As the online community is divided into different support forums I'm going to recommend that you join the supporting someone with incurable cancer forum which is a great place to ask questions, share experiences and get support.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

If you need any help negotiating the community, just drop me a reply and I'll be pleased to help.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Maddie

I am so sorry to read of your son's diagnosis. Of course you want to see him whenever you can. If he is a long way away from where you live could it be possible to get him moved nearer? I lost one of my sons to stomach cancer just over 3 years ago, and it was that much harder because it was during the pandemic and we had to use skype to talk. Perhaps you are not even allowed that? A cancer diagnosis is an awful shock both to the patient and to their loved ones, and I think it is always the mother who takes it the hardest. You are right we never think it could happen to us. Is there some kind of welfare officer at the prison whom you could contact. There might be something they could do to help you both. I do hope you find a solution at least to seeing more of him while you can. Best wishes to you both.Tannith.