Head shave - should I involve my teenage sons?

• 3 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Due to hair loss through chemotherapy, I have arranged for a hairdresser to come to my home today and shave it all off for me. She is also the Mum of one of my son’s friends, so known to us all. My sons are 14 & 16. 
After talking to a few people, I decided to ask my boys if they’d like to be involved, so they feel included. My younger son said yes and my elder said he didn’t mind, and would be there if I wanted him to. 
My husband is concerned that seeing me so upset during this event will not be good for them, and will stay with them forever. 
He spoke to a friend who agreed with him …. Is this just a men v women opinion on things?! 
Any comments / experience would be welcomed. Thank you Green heart

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

As the online community is divided into different support forums I'm going to recommend that you join the breast cancer forum which is a great place to ask your question, share experiences and get support.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• My husband is concerned that seeing me so upset during this event will not be good for them, and will stay with them forever. 

Hi. What did you do?

I have a friend who did just this but she was able to smile and laugh through it all so the kids were fine. If you cried and blubbed then your husband might be right.. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • My eldest son sat with me in the kitchen whilst it was done and my husband and younger son the living room. I didn't cry at the time, and my hairdresser was very upbeat. I really appreciated the support from my eldest and I think he liked being able to support me. I cried buckets afterwards which they both saw, but I guess you can't hide them from everything. I think my advice for anyone else would be to talk to them and let them decide for themselves.