Newbie hello from Oregon!

• 1 reply
  • 53 subscribers

Hello. 
just found this site, hoping to connect with others who may be going through what I am going through. I am a 55 year old male, married 30 years with two boys.  Diagnosed last year in Feb 2023 with metastatic thyroid cancer that spread to the lungs. No symptoms, we found the cancer on a routine cardiac CT scan. Thyroidectomy and neck dissection July 2023, radioactive iodine in in Sept 2023. Recently had a scan in April and found the cancer in the lungs has grown… II have radiadioactive iodine resistant differentiated thyroid cancer with a Braf mutation. Starting to take a medication treatment in the next couple of weeks. We’re not sure what else to expect beyond that. Hoping to make it at least 15 more years. I know the survival rate is not good for this. Having a hard time… long slow death ahead of me is how I feel. Anyway… feeling a little scared.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

It is important to understand that the Macmillan Online Community is mainly United Kingdom based as Macmillan Cancer Support is a UK Charity so you may find that treatments and how we revive our medical care will be rather different.

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in some of our dedicated support group. These groups are safe places to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link belowPoint down

Thyroid cancer

Lung, secondary cancer

Living with incurable cancer - incurable patients only (Please join the group but for everyones safety this will then have to be approved by the Macmillan Community Team so will not happen immediately)

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge