New here - Mesothelioma and no appetite

• 2 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hi all,

I have also posted in the mesothelioma group in more detail, but just wanted to check in here too for any advice on trying to get my 85yr old father to eat something after he has lost all appetite in the last couple of days. He's just so frustrated about feeling so poorly and says no to anything we suggest except for maybe soup. It's a hard line between respecting his wishes or making him eat something he doesn't want. Tough love may be the only option to help him here.

Thanks for any advice.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about your father's Mesothelioma diagnosis. 

I understand in part the journey your father is on as I was diagnosed with Asbestosis back in 2012 (Pleural Thickening and Pleural Plaque in the Right Lung)........ fortunately it remains stable but my main 24+ year fight is with an incurable type of blood cancer Stage 4a.

Let's look for some replies to your post in the Mesothelioma support group as this group is a safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family members who are navigating the same support journey.

As for the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your father and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our……

Carers only 

Supporting someone with incurable cancer

……. support groups where you will connect with a wide range of members navigating the exact same support challenges.

When I went off food (this has happened a lot over my years) like your father, I lived on regular little cups of good quality, homemade liquidised soups with lots of double cream.... let's look for his appetite to come back soon.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike, thanks for your reply and well wishes to my dad. I hope you are doing Ok also and wishing you well with your own battle too.

Thankyou for some excellent advice there, I like the idea of having soup in a cup as well as double cream. That might work well as sometimes a bowl of soup isn't the easiest for him.

Thankyou for the link to the carers forum also, that might be very useful too.

Best Wishes 

Martin